Saturday, June 02, 2012

Becoming

In my last post I asked "What defines art?" and "Is it art?"   Some of my sweet readers said it looks like art to them.  I have continued to work on my "art piece" with lots of hand work.  (which is very time consuming.  And it makes my right index finger hurt as that it the one doing most of the work.)
 Here is another sneak peek:
Someone asked  if I am using variegated thread. The answer is "Some of the thread if variegated."  I am using some that is commercial such as the Aurifil wool and a mystery perle cotton variegated.  But there is some in there that is hand dyed.  I got that from Laura Wasilowski at her Artfabrik store.  I love the shine on the #5 cotton. (click the picture to expand it.) The center section with the scattered seed stitch is #5 cotton from Artfabrik.   In the previous post, the top picture  shows more of the  #5 cotton. That stitch is one Laura calls "wheat ears" - I call it a star stitch.  Either way the thread shines in vivid colors.  I like it so much I just ordered a couple more thread choices from Laura. One is another #5 in the Renaissance colorway.  I can hardly wait to get it.

9 comments:

Laura Wasilowski said...

I'm really loving this piece Gene. The textural quality of hand embroidery stitches is wonderful! Thanks for the mention of my Size 5 pearl cotton threads. Your order is on the way!

Teresa Quilts said...

This is really pretty! Keep going! It is definitely becoming art.

Melissa said...

Definitely art! It is lovely so far, I can't wait to see it finished :)

Pat said...

In some spots, your nice little stitches remind me of the sprinkles that kids love on ice cream!!! :)

Rhonda said...

I saw Pat's comment and smiled because I was thinking the same thing.... ice cream sprinkles.... LOL

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow!! Very pretty!!

Unknown said...

very colorful.....love it...can't wait to see it all

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

You are such a terrible tease Gene....making us wait so long to see what wonderment you are creating.

Thanks for the anticipation :)

Kelly

Kate Brown said...

I am so looking foward to seeing this done! I love the thread choices too, it really gives the sticthes much more interest. It keeps me staring at it. :)