Friday, June 15, 2012

Sailboat Finish and Backing

The Smooth Sailing quilt is now finished.  Thursday night I made the label and sewed in on the back.  I love this little quilt.  I am sure the one who commissioned it as well as the mother of the baby will love it.
Here is the front:
I did a simple wavy quilting on it to be reminiscent of ocean waves.
Here is the back.

I used the "bonus" half square triangles that I got while making the front squares as part of the backing Some of them are pieced triangles because the square was pieced before I added the corners.  So the blue/gray HSTs don't look like simple HSTs.  I also got a stack (10" squares) of the whole line of fabrics when I ordered the focus fabric.  I chose the ones I liked best for this quilt and used them in the backing also. I love a pieced backing -I just think it is fun.
I took ideas from my gentle readers and made the label on my embroidery machine.  I have blurred part of it, but here is the close up.

 I think it will enlarge when you click on it.  I will say that I know it is on crooked.  So what?  It adds a bit of whimsy....that is what I am saying anyway.  I sewed it on by hand and I don't want to do it over. Okay? hehehee
Have a great weekend.


12 comments:

Rhonda said...

Looks great Gene! Love the quilting.

Pat said...

I love the whole thing! Great job on this, Gene!

Barb said...

Looks fantastic!!

Linda said...

This turned out really nice! I'm sure the mother will love it!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Really great job. This is such a fun quilt.

Richard Healey said...

Wonderful Quilt thanks for linking up.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com

Mary said...

I love the quilting. It is perfect for the quilt.

sewfunquilts said...

Terrific quilt...This is one of the best ones you've ever made; fabric choices, colors, blocks, qulting waves......A+

Marjorie said...

I for sure wouldn't do it over. Love the wavy quilting.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilt Gene and the wave quilting sets it off perfectly! Thanks for sharing.
Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

Kate Brown said...

Great job on a beautiful quilt. I really love how this was quilted too. :)

beaquilter said...

that's lovely! good job on it