Saturday, February 14, 2015

Bricks. Cobblestones and Pebbles - Quilt top Finished

I have shown you part of my quilt top from Gyleen's Bricks. Cobblestones and Pebbles.  You can make this quilt from all scraps or you can do a color coordinated one.  But Gyleen Fitzgerald planned it to use up lots of scraps.  The piece are 2 1/2" squares, 3 1/2" squares and some rectangular pieces but nothing is over 7"  by 3" in the entire quilt..  I used scraps, odd fat quarters, some layer cake squares, parts of a jelly roll and a little off white yardage for some extra contrast.  Here is my completed quilt top.  I LOVE it.
Gyleen is writing a book  Bricks, Cobblestones and Pebbles...A Path to Modern Quilts. 
I am thinking that this is a book that I will be wanting to have in my quilting library.

In other news, I got a spinning wheel that I have been looking at for months and months.  I finally decided that I just needed to bite the bullet and spend the money.  I am so happy that I did.
This is my wheel.  I have named her Meg after a character in one of my favorite children's books. I am considering painting the circle part of the wheel which is made of MDF. The "swoosh" that crosses the center is a lovely wood. so I am thinking an off white/buff color and maybe add some type of design over that.
Here is some yarn I spun on the bobbin of the wheel
And finally the yarn after I did a chain ply and washed it.  It is ready to use in my weaving.
We are in for some very cold weather - by Alabama standards.  I plan to stay in and stay warm as much as possible. I will be drinking hot tea and thinking warm thoughts.

My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Great quilt and find. :)

Barbara said...

Scrappy! :)

kathyinozarks said...

awesome wheel and yarn Gene and Meg is perfect for her. I really love your quilt too-I am someone that never uses white in quilts but I love how it makes your quilt pop as a focus-

kathyinozarks said...

and I forgot to ask what is a chain ply-thanks

Lynn said...

Love the quilt!

suemac said...

Very nice spinning wheel. The yarn turned out so pretty.

Jean said...

I like your mystery quilt...very scrappy and the use of the off white really pops those blocks out for added appeal. Great job.

Beth said...

The quilt is a beauty. Great use of color. I love scrappy quilts, but have a hard time not being too matchy sometimes. I need more practice.
That spinning wheel id very cool looking. I have never seen one like Meg. I am hoping you will post on how she works.