Thursday, February 19, 2015

Sew Unusual

On Tuesday,  I decided to use some of my woven fabrics and make something. I had tried on a jacket a friend made from this basic pattern back in January.  The fit and feel were fine.  So I had asked for sizing details since I suspected she had changed it a bit.   I am glad I kept those details.
Now this is certainly not a traditional jacket at all, but I am only traditional in some things.

So after some careful measuring I prepared the woven cloth for cutting.  To do that you mark your cutting line and sew a straight line on each side of it.  Since I am larger than the average Japanese person the pattern was designed for, I had to increase it a bit.  This meant sewing panels of hand woven fabric together.  One of the panels I split down the middle to make the front lapels match.

So what does it look like?  I had to take a picture on a hanger as I had no one to take a photo of me in it.  But I think I look like a "rock star/superhero" in it - just so you know.


If you see those "threads" hanging on the two lower points, 
that is a bit of the fringe where I tied off the fabric warp 
when I was finishing those pieces

There are a number of weaving techniques that I used in these fabrics.  I did not use a consistent color palette but several colors repeat throughout the piece.  This type of clothing has been called wearable art.  I like that idea.
Would you wear something artistic but unconventional?

My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

16 comments:

Barbara Arcement said...

wow I think it looks great. I would wear this in a heart beat! Your work is always so pretty!

kathyinozarks said...

I want one! Wow Gene this piece is fabulous-I love the pattern allot and I love it that you were able to match the front as I think that really makes the garment more chohesive--really love colores in the weaving too-awesome job-yes I would definaely wear this garment

Denise said...

Absolutely beautiful.

kathy said...

Love the colors.
I would wear this.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think that looks very elegant. The colors throughout are subtle and look well together and it definitely needs to be worn in public!!

Russell1947 said...

Beautiful! Is the pattern frm a book?

Beth said...

The colors are so beautiful. I would wear it for sure.

carla said...

Hi!!!!! I really like it and love all the colors!!!!! I would wear it and so would my hubby!!!! I think it is a winner!!!!!

Vicki W said...

On wow, that is so pretty! I think unstructured clothing shows off your beautiful fabrics best.

Marlene said...

It looks great -- and comfortable too!

In answer to your question: YES, I relish wearing artistic and unconventional clothing! More and more I am becoming an artistic and unconventional person, (did I hear someone mumble "Eccentric" behind a cough?!), so it only follows that I would find ways to make clothing that suits my personality.

Sarah Terry said...

I would totally wear a gorgeous thing like that! it's definitely worthy of a rock star/superhero :)

Kathleen said...

Looks awesome! You need to get someone to take a picture of you wearing it now. I think I'd wear it, if it made me look like a rock star too! :o)

Barbara said...

To also answer would I wear something artistic and unconventional? Truth is I probably do almost everyday. When things get old, broken in, and really comfortable, they morph into artistic and unconventional -- my personal favorites.
Not applicable to your "piece" though (Kathy's word that defines "artistic"). It's really beautiful!

suemac said...

I love it. I can just see you strutting your stuff in that jacket.

Barbara Arcement said...

I keep coming back to look at this jacket....so nice. what is the pattern? Id like to try making one.
thanks
b

Barb said...

Oh my gosh, that jacket is so awesome, you are really becoming quite skilled at weaving....