Thursday, February 12, 2015

February Update

This month has been interesting.  So far I have worked on a quilt top that is nearing completion.  I have done more on it since the last post, but I have not take any pictures.   When I get more I will be sure to share them here.

I had my taxes prepared and got a nice surprise there.  Since I had a few dollars to spend, I decided to get a warping frame for my loom.  This allows me to make my own warps (the basis of the woven cloth) My warping board has two legs, so it is leaned against a wall for use.
The warp threads are wrapped around the pegs at the sides in a zigzag fashion. Some of the neat features of this board are the cone holders for up to five small cones of thread (top center) and on the top bar there are hooks that allow the threads to pull neatly off the cones without tangling.

Of course, I used it the first chance I got.  I did not take a picture while it was on the board (oops) but here is my first warp.
In this picture it is tied and chained (think giant crochet chain) in preparation to go on the loom.
With the Saori loom, putting the warp thru the mechanism (reed and heddles) can be done at a table. This is very nice for my back - no leaning over the loom to do it.
Here is the warp wound onto the warp beam ready to weave.
While the colors are not completely true in this photo, it is a pretty good representation.  There are three (or more) shades of purple, three blues, a cream and a silver thread used in this warp.   I did start weaving it last night, but again - no pictures yet.

Today - and based on the usual schedule of UPS - more likely tonight - I am getting a spinning wheel delivered.  It will look like this one.
I bought the unfinished version because it was a considerable savings.  I have the Danish Oil wood finish and sandpaper here waiting for it.  I will finish the pieces before I assemble it.  I am truly excited to get a nice spinning wheel.

My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

Yay! New toys!

Barbara said...

Just read Kathy's, and now your spinning post, and ZING! it is all going over my head! But I surely do appreciate that beautiful warp yarn!

QuiltShopGal said...

Yeah. I'm so happy for you Gene. You are so gosh darn talented. And so knowledgeable on yarns, spinning, weaving, knitting, quilting, art, etc. I look forward to seeing what you create with this new tool. Woo hoo.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

kathyinozarks said...

so happy Gene, you will love your warping board too-I bought mine back when I first learned to weave in the late 70s my is just a simple one that gets screwed to the wall

kathyinozarks said...

sorry about the typos-should read-so happy for you and mine is just---

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Ambitious....you keep me going with all the exciting things to look forward to Gene. Love the colors of your thread/yarn.

Hugs,
Kelly