Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Busy But not Much to Show

Life has continued to be busy - and I am sure it will be for the next month.  I am preparing for a three day weaving get away with some of my weaving friends.
I mentioned making (sewing) my loom bag and someone said I should post a photo of it. As I said, it is not much to look at, but it protects the loom for travel.
There are zippers on each side about 3/4's of the length of the bag.  And I used two big buttons with elastic hair bands to fasten the top. You can see one of them well in this (terrible) photo.
This is a rather heavy upholstery fabric for protective purposes.

I made a new warp for the retreat so I would have something different to weave on.
 I used black and white with one section of color.
Then I did some "test weaving" to test the basket weave  which is alternately called "log cabin" weave.   Here are a couple of photos of the results. First the entire piece.
Then the closeup of the "basket twill/log cabin"
The pattern is purposely interrupted and changed so that it is not too regular.  This is to make it more artistic and interesting when it is made into a garment or whatever it may become.

Meanwhile, I am working diligently to learn the music to Anything Goes.  We are rehearsing a good bit.  I also took mom to the eye doc yesterday.  She has cataracts which will be removed. Then today I had my appointment for a yearly eye check.  I am happy to report that my eyes while still nearsited and presbyopic*  are quite healthy.

Definition of PRESBYOPIA

:  a visual condition which becomes apparent especially in middle age and in which loss of elasticity of the lens of the eye causes defective accommodation and inability to focus sharply for near vision

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I am glad to hear your eyes are healthy. My tumor was sighted during a regular yearly check up with no symptoms to alert me to any problem. Everyone should have a yearly checkup with dilation of the eyes.

Barbara said...

Love the black and white with the additional touch of color. Very attractive! Eyes and cataracts...something we will all probably face. I have them now, but it's up to me when they affect my vision enough to have them fixed. So far, not there yet, but I know it's coming. They say it's easy to go through. Best wishes for your Mom!

Marlene said...

Love the loom bag. I don't take my loom out of the house much, but the one time I did I managed to put a ding in it while loading it into my car.

Jeanna said...

Wow! this is one super and inspiring post.

It warms my heart that you stay so busy since dropping the day job. I wanted to ask but you have been so busy....

Are you still available to make a couple of special order scarves? They would be like the one you made for me last year.

Linda said...

Your weaving is beautiful!
Good luck ( or is it break a leg?) In the musical.