Thursday, August 13, 2015

The Very Vest

Life is still busy, but that is a good thing.  I have started getting up earlier and going to the walking track for a thirty minute walk.  I walk briskly so that is approx 1.5 to 2 miles. I am hoping to shed some of my extra weight which is all "belly fat."

Wednesday I decided to use some of my woven fabric to sew a new vest. I pulled out my "stash" of fabric and started looking at my choices.  I found a couple of "leftover" pieces from another project that I really wanted to use, but one of them was too short. Hmmmm....   Now what?  Oh I know, I will sew a piece onto it from yet another woven piece!
First I stay stitched the edges of that piece and then sewed it to the short piece. Then I started sewing.  The pattern is written in Japanese but pictures are universal.  Also the measurements are metric - centimeters - so I just turned my tape measure over to the metric side and carried on.  This is a Saori pattern that has a cut and hemmed neckline. It is a v neck. I probably cut it a bit too deep. But then I realized (after sewing it all together of course!) that my fabric was a bit wide. So I did the adjustments on the center front and center back - thus closing the neckline a bit.
So what does it look like?
Pretty good I think. At the time of the photos the adjustments were only basted in.  I almost forgot to go back and stitch them properly - but I did remember later that evening. It was a good thing too.  The basting was already starting to pull out.
Can you guess where I added the fabric? (You weavers out there - I am sure you can so just say yes, but I am a weaver!)
It has only been a little over half a day since my last post, so if you missed it - go here
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

11 comments:

Lynn said...

I think it looks fantastic!

kathy said...

Love the front especially.

kathyinozarks said...

I am a weaver but I can't tell where you added on fpr sure unless it is on the back right side looks wonderful Gene

Jackie said...

Love it, especially all the different colours and patterns.

Jackie said...

Love it, especially all the different colours and patterns.

Barbara said...

You asked what does it look like? To me it looks like everything you create ---
Saori-ish, colorful, and one-of-a-kind. It's all good!

Sarah said...

Dimple alert! The vest is cute too :)

Denise said...

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the vest and I love it on you!

Debbie said...

love the vest.....it looks good. Great job!

craftspacecontinuum said...

Wow, you've spun the yarn, woven it and then made a vest out of it. It's a beautiful one of a kind garment. Have fun wearing it : )

Marlene said...

It looks great. I do see where you added on, but only because you mentioned it and I then looked for it, plus, as you say, I am also a weaver.

I'm a walker too, LOL. There is more to the good health benefits of a daily walk than just the physical. It does wonders for the mind and spirit too. At the moment I walk for at least 90 minutes 5 days a week and then about 30 minutes on the other two days. I have an old, arthritic, canine buddy that insists on her walk each morning but can't go too far, 30 minutes tops. But I have another, much larger, younger, stronger, faster dog that comes to spend the day 5 days a week. She's the one that pushes me to get the extra hour of walking on those days. I love having her. She makes the miles fly by. Don't know what I'll do when our rainy season arrives though. It's hard to hold a leash, the inevitable poop bags, and an umbrella all at once!