Tuesday, October 06, 2015

More Batik/Neutral Quilt Blocks

My playful, what if? muse came to play and I made more quilt blocks.  I feel like the "quilt piecing" switch has been turned on.  Ha ha.  So I added some blocks to the group and used the bonus pieces to make more blocks also.
A bit of interior sashing made the bonus pieces large enough to make more blocks. I even got to use the "oops cut" pieces.
As I sewed a thought came in my head:  What if I sewed the turnover triangles together (making half square triangle blocks) and then used them for corners????
So I tried it.
It makes a block that looks a bit more complex but it actually easy to piece.  And of course it made more bonus pieces.
There are four that are large enough to make a block that doesn't need the "interior sashing."  But the other four are too small so they will probably get the sashing treatment.

While doing this, I am starting to really enjoy using neutrals. The turnover pieces are Nocturne by Janet Clare. While the others are from a layer cake of Chic Neutrals by Amy Ellis.  I my have to buy some yardage in neutral prints- just because they play so well with bright colors.

If you did not see the update on the Quilt Angels - please read it here.
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

11 comments:

Debbie said...

Love your what if blocks! This is a great example of design time that I love. always buy neutrals for the stash....they mix with so many things.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

'what if' playtime quilts are the most fun. I rarely know what I'm making when I start a quilt. The surprises along the way are what makes it so much fun. You have a great start there, and yes the neutrals are fun to play with too.

Barbara said...

These fabrics provide great contrast, and I especially like the last pic, it has an ethereal quality. Nice work!,

Linda C said...

Loving what the alternate blocks are doing with the original set of blocks you started with. Looks like they will play quite nicely together!

On another subject, I am so sorry about Ogden House closing, We both know they were providing a needed service. I just hate when the state balances the budget on the backs of those in need, in this case kids who need help. That money they wasted with TWO special sessions would have helped many. Sorry for the rant but I feel the legislature deserves the criticism.

Jeanna said...

Oh my. You are really mixing things up and gettin' the stitch on too.

Ok, I can imagine my daughter's eye roll after my last statement. But still...you are making the most of your "what if muse".

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your "what if" muse is wonderful! Using an "interior sash" to "up-size" some blocks is quite clever - and far more interesting than using an "exterior sash" to do the same thing. I'll try to remember that when it comes time to put together my "Someday Christmas Sampler Quilt" from some of my test blocks in Christmas colors It will most definitely need sashing - both interior and exterior - to make the various sized blocks play nice - ;))

Marjorie said...

I love the "sashing" It gives the whole piece a wonderful organic look. And I'm so, so sorry about the Quilt Angels project. Will pray that Ogden House is able to reopen.

suemac said...

Congrats on being a winner on sherry's blog

Sally said...

Love the new blocks! Congrats on winning the ebook Splash of Color!

Barb said...

Wonderful blocks....glad you found your muse and are sewing again.

Barb said...

Wonderful blocks....glad you found your muse and are sewing again.