Monday, January 04, 2016

A different type of weaving

Playing with fibers, cloth, yarn, string and such has always had an appeal to me. When I discovered that I could weave and make my own cloth, I fell in love.  I can (to some degree) control the pattern and colors.

One of the things I had seen while researching and lusting over looms was a small loom for making narrow cloth bands.  It is called an inkle loom.
I finally decided that I had to have one.  So I ordered it from an Etsy shop run by a guy who makes them. I love it when I can buy handmade goods.

Having woven on other looms, my learning curve wasn't so steep.  When I got the loom, I got it set up to weave.
The warp (threads that run lengthwise in the fabric) are a continuous loop when you tie them on. I had to tie the heddles by hand to get started.  Those are the white threads that allow the threads to shift up and down for weaving.
This band is my own design and I plan to use it as a belt and perhaps use the leftover as a hatband.
The colors are actually navy blue and a silver gray. I can tell that I will have fun making these bands and finding uses for them. The little loom fits in my lap and will be great for road trips.

Fun fact: Inkle weaving is mentioned in Shakespeare's play Love's Labour Lost. (Act III Scene I)

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Wow, never heard of this. You are the perfect one to try this with your experience. How about a headband to wear when exercising?

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Oooh - a new toy! I like new toys! Have FUN playing with it - ;))

kathyinozarks said...

awesome-new toys are much fun indeed-I have never tried this-always thought they were pretty cool and have a long history

Marlene said...

Inkle bands make great shoulder straps for Saori woven bags.

Barb said...

I think you have found something you love more than fabric and that is looms...you certainly do amazing work.