Saturday, January 30, 2016

Saturday Sewing Project -and More

I awoke feeling alive and ready to tackle  embrace the world.   I played around for a bit online.  I walked past the sewing machine and saw some fabric I had woven and cut away from a project.  Thoughts swirled.  Could I use my woven fabric in a quilt block as a piecing material?  After some contemplation another idea stepped into the spotlight.  I could use the woven as an accent on a piece made with an upholstery fabric sample.

Pressing, cutting and more thinking happened before diving right in. The idea I had in mind changed as I went.  Suddenly I had this:
It is just a bit wonky and unusual - hey! just like me!   I used a mustardy gold color fabric for the lining -it peeks out at the sides.

So what is it for?

I didn't measure at all.  But it is the perfect size for my Kindle Fire.  Since I didn't buy or make a cover for the latest one (bought at a ridiculously low price)  this is perfect.

I also re-visited card  or tablet weaving on my larger inkle loom.   The cards act as shafts in the loom, making it a type of four shaft loom.  (Shafts raise and lower the threads to create patterns in the cloth.)
I threaded up twenty cards with four threads each to start weaving this particular pattern.
The pattern draft used gray, green, yellow, black and white as the colors.  I substituted teal/aqua for the green. Purple took the place of yellow, as navy did for the black.  I love the color combination.
This is a very precise, orderly, planned out type of weaving which is in contrast to the Saori - freestyle weaving that I do on my floor loom.  I am thinking that combining the two in a project could be wonderful.

If you happened to miss my affiliate post (Friday) for Craftsy's supply sale, let me remind you  that they are having a sale of up to 50% off on supplies.

I went looking for temptation and found this one at 50% off. There are 40 fat quarters in this box.  I am mightily tempted.

from: Craftsy




This post contains ad links.



Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

imagination prevails! So you are thinking ahead to combining precise and free-style weaving? Why not? If it hasn't ever been done, you are the most likely to experiment!

kathyinozarks said...

sounds like a fun creative day Gene

Marlene said...

You have a real knack for creating beautiful (and precisely woven!) bands.

Kathleen said...

I absolutely love the design and color of this piece!! So glad there are people like you to do this stuff that is WAY beyond me! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.