Sunday, November 22, 2020

Sewing some quilt pieces

Yes, I am finally back to sewing on a quilt top.  Hooray.  It feels really good to know that I can see well enough to do this.  I confess that I am wearing some "readers" when I sew.  Then I pull them off when I go to iron/press.  It will take a while to get into my "system" sorted out since I need readers. 

Anyway,  after looking at the planned layout for this quilt - and the size it was going to be - I said "Nope, uh-uh,  think again."  
There is this quilt on my bed that I just love. I made it in sections and joined them together to make a big quilt that did NOT require having to shift the whole thing while I was quilting it. 

So, I decided to use it as a "guiding pattern"  - not exactly the same but the same type of plan.   I cut up some hand dyed fabrics and started making big old four patches. 
FYI it is  on the bed right on top of the quilt I love to sleep under.  Now I have two of my favorite things in this quilt - batiks and hand dyed fabrics.  I am using the same color - white - as the sashing, but I am making it wider. So each of these four patches gets white sashing attached and joined with another four-patch. 
This one still needs the outer border added.  Those will be 2 1/2" strips instead of the 3 1/2" strips I am using for sashing. Once those are added this section will be ready to be layered and quilted.  There will be eight of those sections that will be joined into one nice bed quilt. 
The redesign inspiration quilt is this one (in case you didn't click that link above.) 

That one is really densely quilted.  This one may not get quite as much quilting -
unless I change my mind.  I do love the crinkly texture on this one.




Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

9 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

It is going to be beautiful! I like the dense quilting too, especially after it has been washed.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Glad you are sewing again.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I'm glad you're sewing again, too! Your quilt is looking lovely - I'm glad you came up with a plan to quilt it in sections - that really is the way to go - ;))

Barbara said...

This is a lovely one, Gene! I like that you know what you want and do your own thing. Crinkly is a great look!

Quilting Gail said...

Very pretty, Gene!
And I LOVE crinkly! It makes the quilt look warm and cozy and definitely gets rid of the formal look!

Julie said...

Gene, I am always on the look out for ideas on using hand dyed fabrics. I like the idea of the blocks having a similar look yet are different patterns. It keeps it interesting. And your FMQ was definitely good! I don't do as much sit down FMQ as before, but I do some. It keeps me fresh, and also helps me remember how difficult it really is moving that whole quilt or even blocks at a time like you did. Well worked! Looking forward to seeing how you'll quilt this one.

Julie

Kathleen said...

Great way to use those dyed fabrics. I love the quilting in pieces, it sure does help to get things done in a less "painful" way when shifting a big old quilt.

Jeanna said...

Love those fabrics, Gene. YOu are going to have another pretty quilt. I like the 'crinkly' in a quilt also.

Vicki W said...

What a fun and happy quilt!