Saturday, April 10, 2021

More Scrappy Fun

The scraps have not diminished or so it seems. I have scraps in bags, boxes, drawer units, and who knows where else.  In my quest to tame the scrap monster, I am doing a lot of "sit and sew."  I grab one piece and another piece that looks interesting with it - or is just about the right size. I sew them together and then do another one.  I try to keep one under the foot at all times during a session.  When I just "need" to press one, I grab them all and go to the iron.  Or sometimes, I set an ironing table next to me.  (But I like the get up and move break some days.)  

Here are two pieces that have been trimmed.  For these I have mostly sewn strips that were already cut. A few pieces were chunks that I just cut into strips for convenience in sewing. 

This first one was cut into thirds and reconfigured just for fun.  A strip was added on each side of two sections - then the other section was added onto and joined to the bottom. 

The one below is just strips and pieced strips. 
When a strip isn't quite long enough,  I grab another piece or two and extend that strip, as you may see. 

I do a lot of the cutting while sitting at the machine with my scissors.  Sometimes  Usually this means there is a mess there. 
To be honest that is neat for that area. 

This is a very small pile of scrap pieces waiting to get used. 
And there is one pieced strip that was the last thing under the foot this sewing session. It 
was taken for a press and trimmed also.
That teeny pieced section was trimmed from another piece - 
those three strips were longer than the others.  Waste not, want not!

Meanwhile,  at Mom's,  we are working on another puzzle.  Although we are not rushing on this one.
Mom thinks that she doesn't accomplish much, but often she pulls out a set of pieces that I 
then fit together.  One example is the lower right corner. She had pulled all the blossom pieces
and left them at the lower edge. So I fit them all into place. 
Here is what it should look like when we finish.
It is really pretty, I think. 





Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

8 comments:

Rhonda said...

Sit and sew sounds like a load of fun. Love your scrappy blocks. And what a neat way to spend time with your mom!!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your Scrappy Fun looks like the big brother of my "crumb" blocks - maybe I should "up-size" some of mine. The puzzle is working up nicely - great teamwork!! - ;))

Barbara said...

Ok, so in spite of being inspired by the Sit and Sew results you get (love these blocks), I’m frustrated! I don’t Understand why, but I simply cannot do this. There must be something in my head that’s blocking the ability to get similar results. Somebody, what is it?

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love sewing scraps like that. I have a box of them and need to figure out a quilt to put them in.

Pamela Arbour said...

You have a lot of nice scraps so I imagine that any of your crumb blocks will be beautiful. Nice puzzle. It looks like that skyline might be a little difficult.

Barbara said...

PK, so I have “cast a spell” on myself (LOL!) and today is the day I will try the scrappy fun again. I love anything scrappy, I can do this if I remove my mental block!

Jeanna said...

You are so creative with your scraps, Gene. Those are such pretty colors. The puzzle is coming along nicely and will be beautiful when it is finished.

Vicki W said...

Scrap sewing is so therapeutic!