Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Take Note - notebook finishes

It has been several days since I posted.   I have been busy with some personal stuff (nothing bad though) and getting some items made for an art gallery.   
The Mountain Valley Arts Council is hosting a fiber art exhibit for the month of May and I was asked to bring some items to exhibit.   Since I know that my notebooks usually sell easily, I decided to take about ten of those.  
I am also going to exhibit one large quilt.  The bad part of that is that I have to put a hanging sleeve on it for the show.  I did find a way to make a sleeve and attach it with safety pins.  At this point I just need to "get it done."  Ha ha. 

Truthfully,  I love making the notebook covers because they finish relatively quickly.  If I plan ahead and do some "assembly line sewing,"  I can speed up the process of assembling them.  Making the cover and quilting it still  takes time.  

Here are my latest six finished.

In the top photo, the one on the right is already sold.  I will be shipping it this week to its new home. 
A previous finish also sold and went to a new home last week.  (Yay!) 
The middle one is different in that it has handwoven fabric with beads actually woven into the cloth. 


These three are fun. I love the hearts on batik which are fusible raw edge applique.  The middle one is a liberated log cabin set on point (using lots of fun scrap pieces.)  Then the right hand one is a design that I digitized and stitched out on my embroidery machine.  Then I added a piece of handwoven fabric for the "ground" under the horse.  

All of these have a pocket inside the front cover with my label sewn in as you may have seen on a previous post. 

Now......to get that sleeve made and put on the big quilt...... Sigh! 




Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

10 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE your new finishes! The one you sold last week is enjoying its new home - and is already in use - ask me how I know - LOL - ;))

Jeanna said...

Love all the book covers but the horse is my favorite! I clicked over to see the quilt you are offering and just WOW! It's beautiful, Gene. Wishing you lots of luck (not that you need it)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

When I want a temporary sleeve I just pin on loops with safety pins instead of a full sleeve. It needs a loop about every 6-8".
You have inspired me to make some more notebook covers. I haven't done any for several years so I'll have to go back to my notes and review.

Frog Quilter said...

Beautiful notebook covers!

Julie Fukuda said...

Last year I made a bed-size raffle quilt, and since it had to be on display, I made a sleeve on a long wooden pole and just pinned the quilt to it. It worked just fine, and I still have that pole and sleeve for future use. Win-win all the way.

Pamela Arbour said...

I really like your journal covers. They are inspiring. I don't have a need for them at the moment but I am seriously considering making some and setting them aside for the future.

Barbara said...

Gene, these are beautiful! I have a neighbor in surgery this week, both knees are being replaced. She is an animal lover and has two horses. In spite of her knees, she will not give up taking care of her horses. I’d like to give her a gift, and your journal with the horse is perfect. Please be in touch!

Kathleen said...

Fun to see all these variations. I am so impressed with the horse....working on learning my embroidery machine but not enough to do that yet!

Turid said...

Such beautiful notebook covers. No wonder they are popular.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cute notebook covers.