Tuesday, May 04, 2021

Some Fun/Useful Quilting Time

Now that I have delivered my things to the art gallery,  I have some time for fun sewing and quilting.  
My sister-in-law was admiring a table mat that I had given mom.  It is great for putting a hot casserole or other dish on the table or sideboard for a family style meal.  The mat protects the top from heat and/or scratches.  

Of course that gave me the idea to make one or two more.   She will get one of these and possibly both. 
The first one is made of a few leftover strips from some batiks.   I think these were some I won in a giveaway, but I am not sure. 
I did some pretty simple quilting on it and added a machine sewn binding. 

The other one is made of scraps of all kinds.  I sewed the pieces together randomly and just played.  It was already pieced and just waiting for me to decide what to do with it.  Since I was "in the mood" for making table mats, the decision was easy.  

This one is all "straight line" quilted with a few places where there are "maze" areas. 
I really just had fun with it. It was no stress.  It also got a machine sewn binding. 
I see fabrics in this one that go back for years.  I really do save all those scraps because, they will eventually get used if I live long enough. 

I gave a "nephew-by-choice" a quilted notebook for his birthday.  Since we were all
vaccinated, we were able to have a get-together and enjoy a meal and some time together.
One of his relatives, that doesn't know me quite so well,  saw it and fell in love. 
So now I have a commission to make one for her.  I need to choose the right fabrics from my stash as I don't want to buy any more fabric for a while.  For some reason, I think I have enough to last me a few years. Ha ha. 


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

I have to live to 200 to use up all the fabric I have been "gifted" over the years. I make table runners and even table cloths quilted to save my antique table from the white rings caused by a husband who left drinks with lots of ice sitting there and forgot them.

Pamela Arbour said...

I am sure that you have enough fabric to make everyone their own unique mat. Great idea!

What is a "nephew by choice"?

Barbara said...

I just love your first photo! The colors together are so beautiful, and batiks always get my vote. Really, really love those colors! I’m eagerly awaiting delivery of the notebook I purchased from you. i know my friend going in for surgery tomorrow will love it!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Love your table mats and your quilting on them! They give me ideas for some of my scraps. Like you - I think I have enough to last me a few years - LOL - ;))

kathyinozarks said...

awesome way to use up fabric scraps-makes wonderful gifts too-I need new hot pads for the table so thanks for the idea. lovely batiks-my favorite ps I am still loving the woven coin purse I bought from you several years ago-it's held up well

Jeanna said...

Making the table mats is a great way to use up leftover fabric. I've made them a little smaller and gifted them to friends with a candle. Guess that makes them candle mats? LOL

Vicki W said...

So glad you were able to get back together with friends and family! The table mats are really cool. It's so nice to make things that people actually want!