Friday, August 19, 2022

Friday Face Off August 18, 2022

Today is Friday so it is time for a Face Off post.  This week I have not created any new faces, but I found some older ones to share with you.   I should explain that my creative time has gone into making a small bed/lap quilt. I will be back to faces shortly. 

First up is a hand-carved stamp that I created several years ago. I used an image of  a co-worker, but it doesn't look like her a bit in the finished piece.  (C'est la vie!) 
I still think that she is a fun and interesting face. 

Next up is a pen and ink drawing on fabric.  I did several of these for a quilt block swap in 2009.
Each of us were to create a "signature block" for Linda's birthday quilt. 
We had to make one for each participant.  So, there were variations for sure
as they were all hand drawn.  The face represents me at the time. I had
to add in glasses and dimples.  Ha ha

I am also sharing some faces that I did NOT create, but captured on a trip to Mexico. 
I could not resist going to museums to see the art of the region. 
You may see in the first one that the sign says 
Oaxaca (wah, HA, kah) but this is actually in the Yucatan instead. 
Yes that is me behind the figures. One of the museum employees 
volunteered to take the photo for me. 


There were also some quite curious "mashed up" creatures
such as this one with an animal (what animal??) body, a human face, and
rabbit type ears.  I wish some of mine were that curiously creative. 

Wouldn't you love to know what was going on in the artist's mind as he created this?

After writing this post but before it was published, I found the following quick sketch
in one of my notebooks.  While I don't keep a proper sketchbook, almost any notebook
that I have written in is likely to have some sketches or doodles in it. 
Even though it is rough and the paper is wrinkled, I decided it is worth showing. 



I am linking up with  DVArtist for the Friday FaceOff.
  Clicking the link will take you to her blog.  It is a great opportunity
 to see how various people interpret the challenge.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

9 comments:

sirkkis said...

What a nice honour to your co-worker that you made, and it looks great. Thanks for sharing art from Mexico and the great creative other art today 😃👍

Iris Flavia said...

Art is up to the artist and we can have fun guessing, I think that works well.
Love them all - the last one is my fav, though!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I absolutely adore your carving Gene and your birthday quilt. That must have taken awhile to create each one from scratch.

That creature from Mexico is stunning. Reminds me of something Dali might create.

Nice to see you ended your post with another lovely drawing, even if the paper had flaws.



A Left-Handed Quilter said...

A bunch of interesting faces! And I agree with Ins Flavia - the last one is my fav - ;))

Jeanna said...

I didn't know you carved stamps...although, I'm not surprised. I always enjoyed following your Mexico trips.

DVArtist said...

The jaguar has powerful and spiritual meaning in the Mexican and other cultures. The fact this one has a human face with rabbit ears must have specific meaning. I would like to know as well. I am impressed that you carved a stamp face and your sketch if awesome. I love all the faces you have shown today. As always I love your post. Thank you for joining Friday Face Off.

Christine said...

Nice assortment of faces!

My name is Erika. said...

Your faces are great, and so are those fun ones in the museum. Very nice post Gene.

R's Rue said...

Great job. Regine
www.rsrue.blogspot.com