Friday, October 28, 2022

Friday Face Off - Halloween

Welcome to my blog.  Today I am posting my Halloween Weekend face.  There were several options for the type of face for a Halloween project, but I saw a certain hand dyed fabric in my stash and KNEW that it was made for this.  Thus, I decided on a Jack O'Lantern -and I made him a bit menacing in the spirit of spookiness.  This orange fabric spoke to me. I saw eyes and a nose right there in the fabric. I made a template to have it in just the right spot.   Then, I was excited to create this face!

The gradient dyed fabric that I used for the background adds a nice spooky feel also.
I see a fall night with leaves on the ground.
Then I added some hand-cut leaf shapes around the bottom 
of the Jack O'Lantern  to strengthen that imagery. 

After he was all finished as a nicely fused quilt top, I needed to 
decide on threads for quilting. I knew that I would need some 
greens and some oranges in my selection. I pulled out these 
shown below as a starting point.  I only used two of the orange 
threads in this group. However, I used three of the green threads. 
The variegated green was perfect for quilting the ground section.
I chose to quilt that in leafy quilting motifs. 
For the top I used a blue quilting thread that blended nicely. 
It worked well for the night sky swirly quilting. 
And here is an extra photo of the quilt placed in the 
ivy that is in the planter by my front door.


Some of you may know that I don't typically create seasonal items.  However, this one was a lot of fun, so I may do more small seasonal quilts. 

I am linking up with  DVArtist for the Friday Face Off.
  Clicking the link will take you to her blog.  It is great fun
 to see how various people interpret the challenge.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

12 comments:

Tom said...

...have a spooktacular day.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your fantastic quilt, well done! Valerie

DVArtist said...

OMGosh Gene. I saw this and my first thought was, this melts my heart. This is simply stunning. I love the creepiness of it. You managed that perfectly. I am so envious of your quilting talent. Bravo my friend. Thank you for being part of FFO.

Christine said...

Very nice!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE Jack! He's creepy - ;))

Vicki W said...

Now thsi is face art that I can get on board with. I love it!

roentare said...

The pumpkin looks a little 3D. Well painted and crafted

My name is Erika. said...

You made a great pick of fabric, and what a wonderful Halloween quilt Gene. Happy weekend.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm having a terrible time trying to leave you a comment. I keep getting "failed to publish." Here goes again.

I love your pumpkin. I was impressed with all that thread, too. This is a gorgeous quilt top. And perfect for the season.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Yes. Finally! Sorry it took so long for me to comment.

Jeanna said...

This is just adorable, Gene. I love how the jack-o-lantern sits on a bed of leaves. I think this one takes the lead as my favorite so far.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You are truly amazing ... and the colors are awesome. I really love your art, all of it.

Andrea @ From the Sol