Friday, April 28, 2023

UGH!

Since I have been missing a week already, I decided I should post so you all know I am alive. 


Last Saturday I started the day just fine - or so I thought. Then as I was doing my morning routine things, I turned around and had a pain in my lower left back.  It was sharp.  What?!?!
I progressed and moved around to the front and "OWWWWwwww, @#$#@#!!!!"  I had to go put myself horizontal on  my bed. I thought I was dying.  So many things wandered through my mind.  Had my colon blocked?  Was it getting ready to burst?  
Luckily I have family nurses and even a doctor/intern.  I called one of the nurses (sister in law) and asked for advice.  As soon as I finished describing how it began, she said "You have just described a kidney stone."    UGH! This was my first ever and I had no idea the agony folks go through with these. 

My brother came and took me to the ER (not the local one, but one where there was a urologist on call) there I got seen quickly.  An IV was put in, and after a bit I was given something to prevent nausea,  something else, and morphine for the pain.  Once it kicked in, life was tolerable and I got a CT scan.  The ER Doc said that the stone was 3 mm - and said it was small.  So I was eventually sent home for it to pass. (with scrips for more meds.) 

I have survived, but I fear a second one is coming. I have a dull pain in the same place on my back. UGH!  For once, I am hoping I just slightly overdid it the one day I felt good (Thursday) and strained a muscle. 

Meanwhile, today I am supposed to go in an refresh my library exhibit.  I am thinking that will end up being minimal.



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry! I've never had one but I know that the pain is excruciating. Maybe that's where the phrase "this too shall pass" came from. I hope you are better soon!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I'm so glad you had someone to call for advice when the pain hit! I think "OWWWWwwww, @#$#@#!!!!" describes it pretty well having seen my husband suffer with them. I hope the pain meds work well and that this second one passes soon with a minimum of discomfort - ;))

Kathleen said...

So sorry you had to go through this. Hope the other is a phantom pain and not a second one. Fingers crossed.

Nancy said...

Oh NO! I started reading and kidney stone came immediately to mind - hope it is only one and it passes - not fun - that being said we missed you last night - 2 of you out that have been to the ER with urology problems. Miss you - loved your quilts!

Nancy