Friday, April 14, 2023

Hand-carved Stamps: Faces

Over ten years ago, I started carving rubber stamps to use in my art work.  Carving a stamp allows you to have something that is very individual to use.  Once you have carved a rubber stamp it can be used as a type of signature in your work.   I have used my hand carved stamps with stamp pads, paint and even with fabric paint to make my own fabric designs. 

Of course, I had to try faces - even way back then.  After all, every artist should try a self portrait of some kind. 

So here is my first carved "self portrait stamp"

Here is one of a lady, this was done from a photo that I digitally edited. 

This is Sarah, she was a blogger at the time 
I carved the stamp. 

Finally, another self portrait - once my skills had improved a bit. 


I have a plastic pencil box full of my hand carved stamps. 
Another use I have found for them is to stamp a design onto polymer clay. 
I once made pendants with a stamped design and sold a few. 

I even did a simple tutorial video on how to carve a stamp.  
As I write this it is only showing a gray box. I hope it embeds the video. 

The video is on YouTube HERE

 I am linking this to the Friday Face Off hosted by Nicole at  DVArtist  Clicking the link will take you to her blog.  It is great fun to see how various people interpret the challenge. 

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


 Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

14 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

These came out great Gene. I love carving stamps but haven't had the courage to try faces, so kudos to you for making some really good faces. And your self portrait one does look like what you've shown us of your face. Have a great weekend.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your face stamps. I used to make a lot of stamps before my hands got so bad. Happy Friday! Valerie

Christine said...

Very interesting, it sure puts a 'stamp' on your art! Lovely self portraits.

Tom said...

...I never progress beyond printing with a potato.

Iris Flavia said...

Very well done! I don´t think I could think "inside out".

DVArtist said...

Wow Gene, you just keep on amazing me with your talents. I have tried carving stamps but for some reason end up doing it backwards. LOL These are spectacular. Thank you so much for joining FFO. Have the best day ever.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a fabulous skill. I love each of these. You are truly amazing, Gene. I am in total awe of your continued abilities.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your stamps are GREAT! Thanks for the video - you make it look easy - ;))

Kathleen said...

Those stamps are awesome and what a fun way to sign artwork, too!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your self portraits are awesome. There doesn't seem to be any limits to you talents. I watched the video and though I have never thought of using stamps, I think I may give it a try. If I succeed, you will see my portrait on FFO ... wish me luck and thank you for you instructions :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I just read you comment. That's okay, I understand perfectly. Maybe another time :) I still love what you do, though :) Hope your busyness is something you enjoy, otherwise, I hope it settles down soon ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

NatureFootstep said...

what a great idea to make your own stamps. Thanks for sharing.

Tom said...

...last Saturday we went to a student art show, one of our granddaughters had a print on display. She craved her design on a piece of styrofoam. Geene, I hope that you will have a wonderful weekend.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

How fun! I almost bought some supplies, but I reined myself in just in time! Seriously, I love the leaf stamp you made, and the faces are amazing. Wonderful work!