Friday, August 11, 2023

Another Skull

After using my digitizing software to create a skull design for my embroidery machine,  I decided I wanted a way to cut the fabric for the applique rather than cutting it by hand.  There are die cutting machines, like the Accuquilt Go - but you have to buy the dies for cutting and it is very expensive to get them to make a custom die.   I thought "If a Cricut can cut vinyl, why can't it cut fabric?"  So I  went looking for answers.   Supposedly it can.  My experience is that it doesn't do it well. 

I borrowed a Cricut from my Public Library. What?  Yes, they have a Library of Things that you can borrow and one of them is a Cricut.  I had ordered a fabric cutting blade for it.  After several attempts that failed I got one good cut.  So I will be returning the Cricut to the library knowing that I don't want or need to buy one. 

However,  the one good cut resulted in this fun piece. 
I do like the results although it isn't any better than my hand cut one. (and it was more work, not less!) 

Since a skull is  a form of a face,    I am linking up with DVArtist/Nicole for the Friday Face Off



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

14 comments:

Tom said...

...Gene, self portrait? Have a wonderful weekend.

Valerie-Jael said...

This is fun-. How nice to be able to borrow a cricut, our library doesn't have things like that! Your 'face' looks wonderful, well done! Hugs, Valerie

Gillena Cox said...

How interesying ! To borrow from your library a cricut.
Luv your fabric art today.

Happy Friday
Much💖love

My name is Erika. said...

This make a great applique Gene. And I think it's super your library lets you borrow cricuts. Happy weekend and happy Friday too. Don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

sirkkis said...

You have a multifaceted 👽 library 😃 Well done fabric face 👍🤩

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Love that skull, it's very cool!

Christine said...

Love this!

Jeanna said...

I have a cricut but its only been out of the box a couple of times. I really want to learn how to use...but not for fabric. I used to have a Brother Scan n Cut and never had much success with it for anything. Your skull turned out great.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

GREAT skull!! I agree - sometimes it IS easier to cut out something by hand - ;))

Fundy Blue said...

I am in awe of people who create art out of fabrics. My sisters are very talented as well, but I'm hopeless. Have a creative weekend, Gene!

DVArtist said...

A skull is absolutely a face. I love this one. The blue really makes it pop. That is so cool that our library has things like a Cricut and now you know not to buy one. My daughter has one and uses it a lot but she uses the vinyl. Thanks for sharing your skull. Have great weekend.

roentare said...

It is a cute skull!

NatureFootstep said...

cool, for once I like a skull :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry I'm late visiting. Hoping to be more punctual now the clean up is over. You are blessed to have a library like that, but I can see where it would take a long time to cut it, where cutting by hand would be faster and probably cheaper. It was a great learning experience, though. And your completed skull turned out great.