Friday, August 18, 2023

Potpourri

Today's post is a potpourri of photos.  I have always been a doodler. For a while, I did a lot of Zentangle type doodles.  Many of them were done as ATC's (artist trading cards.)  Here is a small collection of them. 
Back when I was doing these, a blog reader told me "You are doing quilting designs, you should start quilting."  It was a few years later that a friend asked me to just sit in her quilting class and try to do what she was teaching. She said, I just want a friendly face in the room.   Ha, I think she knew that I would be hooked and become a quilter. 

Another love of mine is travel. I don't get to do it as much as I would like, but when I go, I usually take photos of things that strike me as interesting or happy.  While in Mexico, I saw this face over a doorway that made me smile, so I hope you smile too. 

And just for grins, here a a photo of a MUCH younger "me" with someone you just may recognize.  
I wish I still had all of that hair that I had then.  
And yes, that really is "her." We were both a lot younger then. 
I think this was made in the early '90s.


 I am linking up with DVArtist/Nicole for the Friday Face Off

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

13 comments:

roentare said...

You certainly look different in the throwback photo

DVArtist said...

Don't we all look different in older age. I look at myself in the mirror and wonder who the hell it is. LOL However, let's start at the beginning. That is a wonderful story of how you became a quilter. One thing always leads to another. I have a face very similar that I got while in Mexico. I have it packed away right now. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a great weekend.

Tom said...

...I've been intrigued by Zentangle, but have never tried it. Is that Reba McEntire? Have a wonderful weekend.

Gene Black said...

Yes Tom, that is really Reba.

Iris Flavia said...

Interesting how you came to quilting!
Love the sunny face - and the younger you :-)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Interesting art, photos and post! You and Reba were BABIES!

Valerie-Jael said...

Nice to see your younger self, but I don't know he lady you are with! I like zentangling, and used to do a lot. Nice to see how you became a quilter! Hugs, Valerie

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

She knew you would be hooked and become a quilter! LOVE the photo of you and Reba - you both look great! And the sun above the doorway did make me smile - ;))

My name is Erika. said...

That's a great sun face. And it's perfect for Friday Face Off and for August when it's warm too. Have a great weekend Gene.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I always love visiting here, but I am really late due to not being able to sit very long. I love your doodles, but they make my hand ache just looking at the amount of work you put into each of them.

I enjoyed reading how you got hooked on quilting. Serendipity.

Sure enjoyed the photo of you and Reba, too. Lucky you.

Jeanna said...

You could probably teach a class or two on quilting now. Great photo of you and Reba.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I recognize both 'faces' in the photos. I wish I was as skinny as I was back in the 1990's.

NatureFootstep said...

lol, I am amazed with what you can do just doodling. :) Gorgeous!