Friday, August 04, 2023

Friday Faces and a Song

Welcome to another Friday.  Today I decided to go searching through some travel photos for interesting faces to share.  All of these photos are from my trips to Mexico, specifically the Yucatan Peninsula. 

Travel is a great opportunity to see art from diverse creators.  This first photo is one that made me go "what on earth possessed the person to create this?"  And yet, I still find it interesting. 


Next up is a photo especially for Nicole, who loves skulls. As you may know, Day of the Dead is a  Mexican religious holiday celebrating ancestors. 


And wouldn't this be great to have by the front door to store umbrellas and walking sticks?



And yes, I had to get inside the Pizza guy and get a photo.  My first "real" job - the ones where they take half your pay in taxes - was as a cook in a pizza joint. 


As I was working on this quilt, I couldn't help being reminded of how I love to sew random pieces to make interesting quilt blocks. 

That brings me to the song.
I wrote this song when I was inspired by a quilt my grandmother made and gave to me. It isn't a pretty quilt, but it is filled with love and totally hand stitched. 


Just in case that doesn't work for everyone, here is a link to SoundCloud where it is hosted. 

      I am linking up with DVArtist/Nicole for the Friday Face Off


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

16 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

I always s love your beautiful quilts, and your song is so lovely it made me cry. Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Valerie

sirkkis said...

Love your very beautiful quilt with lovely colors 😍 and the song. You have a fun collection of Mexican art.
Enjoy the weekend 😊

Jeanna said...

I'm not crying, no there is just something in my eye! Goodness, that song is so sweet and one I can completely relate to, Gene. Thanks for sharing your photos from Mexico. I remember how much you enjoyed your time there.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Everything is fabulous, especially your quilt!

Tom said...

...I love Mexican art and you look the part of being a Pizza guy!

Christine said...

Enjoyed your faces Gene!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE your faces - and your quilt - and especially your song - ;))

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Great faces and sweet song.

DVArtist said...

Wow Gene! This is an amazing post. I love everything. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a great weekend.

roentare said...

Great arts! You are creative

My name is Erika. said...

The first face is a part of a really interesting piece of art. I have never been to Yucatan but seeing the art is really interesting. And ha-ha, I love the pizza guy face. Oh those first jobs. In some ways they ended up being the best as they had no responsibility. Happy weekend.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love the emotional song you wrote and created. It is moving. I always love seeing your amazing quilts. This one is lovely. Had to laugh at real job where they took half your pay as taxes. I have to agree. As always, I love your Friday face. I also loved the Day of the Dead display, too. Looked like a nice alter.

Lyndsey said...

I really love your beautiful song Gene. Thank you so much for sharing.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Love your song. Grandmothers' quilts are indeed precious.

NatureFootstep said...

lol, yes the first photo made me, instantly, giggle. Really funny.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Those are some interesting faces. Nice song about your grandmother.