Friday, April 05, 2024

An Old Treasure

A week or so ago, I got a phone call from a dear friend that I worked with in Public Health years ago.  She and her husband have opened a little store selling interesting household items, forgotten treasures and other things.   As we were talking her voice took on some excitement. She said "You will never guess what we found as we were looking for things to put in the store!  I found a painting that is signed E. Black.  I just knew it has to be one of yours. We didn't take a picture of it, because I can't bear to sell it."  I couldn't imagine how it ended up in some estate goods in another county.  So I had to visit the store to see it.  Thanks to Google Maps magic, I found her store which is "in the middle of nowhere."   We had a lovely visit and when she showed me this painting, she asked "Is it yours? I just knew it had to be since it is signed E Black."  
 "Yes it is" I answered. "I remember painting it but I don't remember selling it, although I am sure I did."  
It was a joy to see one of my early paintings and realize that I still think I did a nice job on it. I do remember having this at an outside art sale. A woman told me the tree reminded her of trees that she had seen in Africa. The fact is that this one came out of my imagination.  Possibly she was the one who purchased this painting. If so, I hope she enjoyed having it. 
I told me friend I would be happy to buy it back. 
She laughed and said "Oh no, I have a painting by a famous artist and I am keeping it." 
I am not really famous, but I do hope that some of my work survives and is loved long after I am gone. 


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

6 comments:

DVArtist said...

OMGosh! How fantastic is this? I do love this painting and I agree, an African flare to it. I am happy for you in finding this wonderful piece. Have a great weekend, Gene.

roentare said...

I love this painting. A true treasure. A unique light to it

Vicki W said...

What a great story! I'm glad it found a new, and happy home.

Jennifer said...

Famous and unforgettable!

Jeanna said...

What a wonderful story, Gene. And a beautiful painting. I can understand why she doesn't want to sell it to anyone...even the famous artist!

Barwitzki said...

How nice. Stories that life writes.
The picture has beautiful colors and wonderful contrasts, plus the romance of the lonely sailing ship...
I wouldn't have sold the picture back either.
I found you on my block because you liked my little picture - the one with the bike and the mountains. Thank you very much, I was happy about it.
Now I'll see what I find on your blog and what you do.
Many kind regards from Viola
p.s. I'm relatively new to the fabric business, it's wonderful to play with colors... you can really let off steam... I wish you lots of fun.