Monday, March 30, 2009

One Giant Step Closer

My Quilt as you go project is nearing completion. I am so excited! Once I get it trimmed and put on the binding, I will have a nice bright colorful new quilt for my bed.

I was told that I should have kept the first quilt I made. However, I was making that first quilt as a present for my niece. I had a deadline and even though I tried to machine quilt it, I gave up on that and tied it.

My second quilt top is still in the bag waiting for a trip to get longarm quilted. I am not sure when that will happen.

But, this one is bordering (pun intended) on a finish! I used a semi-crazy quilt technique. It is also a stack and whack technique. So there are four blocks of each "design." The blocks are nice and large, roughly 16 by 18 inches, so I could finish quickly. I basically used fat quarters and then trimmed the blocks to size.

The back of each block is made of a solid piece of fabric. For joining strips, I just cut strips off the edges of fabric in my stash and/or leftovers from making the blocks. (Hey, I didn't buy it all as fat quarters. Some of the FQs were cut from yardage as needed) Here is a peek at the back.

In case you are wondering, I have a room divider next to the sewing table. I use it as a place to hang strips or pin pieces if I need to. It is a frame with off-white fabric as the divider and it is very handy right there!

12 comments:

Terri said...

I like it, and yes you should keep your first quilt. But don't tell anyone I never did either.

www.welovequilting.com said...

It is absolutely beautiful. I must learn how to do that.. I LOVE IT..

Chris

Barb said...

Love the quilt...awesome job. Glad to know that there are others that tie a quilt when in a pinch.

Qubie said...

Wow!!! Looks great.

LINDA BYLSMA said...

Good job, I love the colors. I really need to try that technique.

Libby said...

That is so fun! I love the colors and the "crazy quilt" look of it.

Sarah said...

Wow that is some serious color! I like the back as much as the front.

Pat said...

WONDERFUL, Gene....and what a happy quilt. And...should it ever become UNHAPPY at living on your bed down south, I think it would LOVE it here in Delaware! LOL

Beeshebags said...

Hi Gene, Just saw another comment you made on someone else's blog, and it finally connected that you actually quilt/sew and aren't just an admirer! Great work hun. Hugs Naomi from Adelaide, Sth Australia

Jennie said...

I have that book, and now I am totally inspired to try this! Found you through QuiltDad, so you know! ~ Jennie

Unknown said...

That looks really nice! Good job!

Diah Rothman said...

I do not believe that you really a quilter....until.... how I wish that my hubby could do the same!!! Nice quilt. Well done.