Saturday, May 30, 2009

Big and Scrappy

I am still working on that surprise quilt and I expect I will be for a while yet. I thought I would show you some blocks for another section of the quilt.

First is the HUGE block. I just kept adding pieces to this until it was large enough. It is 18.5 and will finish out at 18 inches. This means that I will be doing lots of work in multiples of NINE.

Scrap Block 1
(you can click on these pictures to go to my Flickr photos and see them larger)

I decided to be "less ambitious" (ha ha) and just make 9.5 squares. After all, I have a square ruler in that size. It makes life easier. PLUS the string squares are also that size so it will all fit together for a really "busy" patchwork quilt.

So here are a couple of 18.5 blocks made from the smaller units.

Scrap Blocks

As you probably noticed, there are some smaller blocks incorporated into the units. There is a paper-pieced tulip block that I messed up on. Hey it works fine in this!
There is also some curved piecing that was made just playing around. I cut it down. Don't be surprised if the other pieces of it show up later.

To photograph these I made a temporary "design wall" by hanging some batting over a door. That is why my squares don't look square. I promise that they are. But even if they aren't -wonky is definitely allowed in this quilt.

This is a NO RULES quilt and it is a lot of fun. You should try it. If you do, let me know and be sure you post a picture of it somewhere so I can see it.

5 comments:

Pat said...

You should make a pattern or a book and call it "No Rules Quilting". I like how this is coming along so far. :)

Libby said...

Fun! I love it...can't wait to see the finished product.

Anonymous said...

That's a perfect book idea -- I can see it selling! I love the incidental curved lines. They add so much interest!

Barb said...

You look like you are having a great time doing those squares. I did a crazy quilt but no stitching and that was alot of fun..using up all my fabrics. Like the idea of you using some old squares in there as well....very smart and it looks great!!!

Anonymous said...

I love these!! I agree following less rules, or no rules, is refreshing. I like to keep around a "no rules" piece so that after working on a meticulous piece I can break it up.

These are great!!