Sunday, May 03, 2009

Update-The secret revealed

Okay. I am ready to tell you "why" I was being quiet. Are you ready for this? I have slipped the secret to a couple of friends, I confess. BUT---- most of you are still wondering (or maybe couldn't care less ha ha)

I went on an excursion. A trip. An adventure. My friend, Dave, and I have been looking forward to retirement and making a few plans. One place that has our serious consideration is Merida, Yucatan, Mexico. It is tropical -and our old bones don't like the cold. It is less expensive than Florida- we will both have to watch pennies to survive if we live long. The people are mostly friendly and accepting.

This was our second trip to the Yucatan. We stayed in the same place as on the last trip. It is a lovely little guesthouse called Las Arecas (the palms.) On this trip we had the one room that has a small refrigerator. However, we had access to the kitchen and could have used the refrigerator there as we did last trip. It was nice to have the place to keep some water cold and not have to walk out of the room for it.

We made a day trip to Celestun to go on an eco tour; because even though this was a scouting expedition, it was also a vacation. I will be posting pictures later.

After a "delightful" two and a half hours (or more) negotiating the Atlanta airport (customs, TSA, and having to reclaim baggage twice --yes not just once but twice!) We got in last night about 11:30 p.m. A hard day of travel left us exhausted. It was over 3 hours driving to the airport, then 2 hours in the terminal (including a screening for influenza), slightly over two hours flight and then the absurdity of the airport and a two hour drive home.

I am still tired!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a lovely place to retire to. Take me please, please. lol Get some rest today. It's rainy here, good day to rest.

Pat said...

Sounds really exciting! (If you retire there, I hope you get a place that has a guest room so we can all take turns visiting. LOL)

Barb said...

That does sound exciting. My husband, siter in law and her husband want to find a place in Mexico as well....for the life of me I can not remember the name of the place....starts with a B....hummmm sorry...must be the age??

Anonymous said...

I like the Aztec design of the table cloth fabric, and the colors are so vivid! How interesting that it's placed crosswise on the table.
I'm guessing we'll be seeing a blog name change. Good luck!

Kaye said...

Lucky you, hope you had a great time.You want to retire there? wow, what a big step that is. Sure hope you find your heart's desire

Working Gringa said...

I can personally attest to the Yucatan as a great place to live. If you haven't discovered it already, read all about it at www.yucatanliving.com. Glad you stayed with my friends Mauro and Raul... aren't they wonderful?