Sunday, May 31, 2009

Getting more done

I have gotten a good bit done on my scrappy, No Rules quilt. This is probably NOT the layout I will use. But it shows the progress I have made and all the work I have completed so far.

Okay here are the pictures:
From one side:
Scrappy quilt 1

Then the other:
Scrappy quilt 2

There is a big variety of fabric in there. I think I see some Kaffe Fassett - or is that Martha Negley mums? They both use such vivid colors and y'all know I love some vivid color. There are also pieces from a Connecting Threads line or two (or three?) I have pieces of old shirts in it. Bits from just about every other project I have ever done - if there was a scrap I saved it is probably in here. Plus, those orphan, and experimental blocks now have a home.

Since I will do this "quilt as you go" fashion, there will be some sashing and borders. I am as yet undecided what I will use for that. Batik? Solids? another print? And what oh what will I back it with??? Stay tuned and we will find out. I am sure I will be as surprised as you are.

8 comments:

Pat said...

Back it with a lot of assorted fabrics and then the back will look scrappy and fun and the quilt can be reversible that way!!! It's looking good!!!

Qubie said...

I love just grabbing fabric and making quilts with it. My thought on the sashing and border are to keep it all scrappy. This way no one fabric stands out, but one the other hand if you want a place for your eyes to rest then you might want to use something that makes it all pop for your borders and sashing.

Barb said...

Love the way it is turning out...

quiltmom anna said...

Wow Gene, what a great scrap quilt- there are so many interesting blocks and fun fabrics that I don't know where to look first.
I will be interested to see how you back it- perhaps a dark multicolor print of some sort-
I like my backs to be related to the tops of my quilts and I am not crazy about solid backs or muslin but that is a personal preference.
I will look forward to seeing how you solve your dilemma.
Regards from A Western Canadian Quilter,
Anna

Anonymous said...

Scrappy is my favorite, but more than that it's one-of-a-kind artwork.

Anonymous said...

These are great! I love the extreme mix of fabrics. Can't wait to hear how the quilt as you go proceeds. I've never tried it.

Uniquely Yours Creations said...

Just found your blog. Looks
like I'm in for some good
reads. I love "no rules quilts"!
It's my latest passion.

ooglebloops said...

Discovered you thru Pat and Linda - great quilts!!!!!!