Friday, September 24, 2010

And We will make a quilt!

Okay, I have tallied the votes for the "Designs -Which would you like to do?" post.  If your choice didn't win, keep reading anyway. You might get a pleasant surprise. 
From least to most votes:
Quilt 3
Table Runner
Quilt 1
Quilt 2
So Quilt Design 2 is the winner. 




I will be using the GO! cutter and the 4 1/2" strip die along with the 4" finished Quarter Square Triangle die.  But if you don't have the dies or the GO! have no fears you can rotary cut. 
You will be cutting a lot of 4 1/2" and 5 1/4" squares. 




You can use any method you like to make the quarter square triangles as long as your quarter square blocks finish at 4".  (that is trimmed to 4 1/2" -because 1/2" each direction will end up as seam allowances.) 
There are instructions for making the quarter square triangles "the hard way" (without the Go!) already posted at Patchwork and Quilting.  
I will tell that to make them finish at 4" you will need to cut the squares 5 1/4 " in size.  So for those that think the GO! may waste fabric - I am pretty sure it is no more wasteful than other methods.  I think I use less since I don't make cutting errors. 


Okay, this post is a tease, since I will work Saturday making the quilt and writing the instructions.  I just got the dies delivered by the Brown Truck today.  I wish I didn't have to GO! to my job tomorrow so I could use them right away.  But I need food and money for fabric and notions, so off to work I will GO! 


Oh, for those of you that wanted to make the other quilts (Quilt 1 or Quilt 3) it is pretty easy to make it while the rest of us make this one.  You will just need to change 8 of the 4"  squares. Yep that is the only difference in quilts 1, 2 and 3.  

6 comments:

Barb said...

You are one busy guy....

quiltingnana said...

darn that job...can't wait to see the quilt

Micki said...

That quilt should be really neat!
Micki

Pat said...

These jobs are so bothersome...they DO get in the way of lots of fun stuff, don't they?

Frummie said...

Gene, I can't wait to get home next Tuesday to start this...you are the best!
I feel like a women on the GO! I think this is my third trip in 3 weeks. Love to visit my family!
Hugs Sweetie,
Frummie

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to my favorite in reality!