Sunday, September 05, 2010

Free Motion Quilting

 A little while back, I found out about this new quilt along.   This one is very different. Instead of making blocks and ending up with a quilt top (also known as a flimsy,) this quilt along is all about the quilting part.  Free motion quilting is what we are learning in this.  I have done free motion but I want to get better. It is an excellent goal, don't you think?  This is over at A Few Scraps blog.

We have learned about things that are needed, how to set up your machine and got instructions to make a simple- VERY simple-  quilt top. It is important to not be attached to the top you are learning on.   Yesterday the first bit  real quilting instructions were posted.  It is really simple lines and shapes, but simple can be surprisingly difficult to do well.
Here are a few pictures of my sample quilt sandwich -the practice pad!

This picture shows a bit of all of it. I kinda cut off the close together straight lines.

Sample Free-motion quilting

Here are the zigzags that go between some of the straight lines. Reasonably even stitches- Yaay!
You can see the close straight lines in this too- stitches not as even.

Sample Free-motion quilting

This shows the loops.  I am VERY HAPPY with the stitch length on the loops. They were the last step.
I think that shows why you should always do a bit of practice prior to working on your precious quilt. It helps to get you into the groove and get your stitches regulated with your hands, foot and eye.

Sample Free-motion quilting

I am happy to say that this quilt along is one that will make a difference in my free motion work and hopefully embolden me to quilt larger quilts on my machine without doing "quilt as you go."

Why don't you go over to afewscraps.blogspot.com/ and join us?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My problem with free-motion is indeed varying stitch length. This is looking great!

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Thanks for this...going over...I have just got myself a new machine that does free motion quilting!!!

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow great job!! I'll have to go check it out!

Bunny said...

You are doing great, I love your progress in your quilting. Bravo.

Sue said...

Great work Gene. My problem is speed. Too much of it. I need to slow down and watch where I'm going or "wonky" happens!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Your stitches look very consistent which is what I struggle with. I'm doing this quilt-along, too, so I'll see you on Flickr!

Unknown said...

i like to free motion quilt..........i'm trying to get the hang of stars now, not so good, lol

quiltingnana said...

I found this site too...my problem is that my stitches vary in size....

Stephanie Hughes said...

Good job. I love your free had quilting. I have about 20-30 quilting pads that I have made in my past practicing. It always get starting on a practice sandwich before I start any project, especially if I am putting a different color thread in the bottom or the top so I can tell if the tension is good. Sometimes you will see the bobbin thread come to the top and show the different color so I always do a test run. Great job and keep up the good work. Steph

Pat said...

NICE, Gene.....I am hoping to do more of this in the winter months. Right now, I have too much happening to sit and concentrate on this very effectively, but I do want to master it someday! It is nice that her blog is doing this for us!

Theodora quilts said...

Looks great Gene the loops and all I have yet to get started I got my needles on sat to use to practice on I have tried once ,but got cold feet lately. this is just the thing to get back in the swing of things.

Anonymous said...

i want some of that hat fabric!! it's fab. do hand quilters free motion too......hmmmmm things to try.