Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Forbidden Crossing

Did you notice the name on my blog? Right up there it says "an Alabama Artist."   Yes I know I have been posting a lot about quilting. Quilting is an art form also.  But quilting is not my only creative outlet.  I need lots of different avenues.  One of the ones that I have had for a long time is painting. Actually this blog started as a way for me to talk about paintings with people.  Then it evolved into a lot about quilting.
At work, we are getting ready to move from one location to another.  In my current location I have room to hang a number of my paintings.  Sadly this is not so in the new location.  There it will be cubicles.  So this painting that had been hanging on the wall in front of  my desk, will be coming home with me.
Forbidden Crossing

I love this painting that I created. It has lots of visual texture. Part of the texture is from a stamp I carved. This stamp is nicely featured in this painting as the bridge that is the "Forbidden Crossing."  It has nice contrast and a vivid color scheme with  a "near compliment" set of colors.

Now I ask you this:  Do you see a relationship to how I piece quilts in this?  Do you see a similarity in my quilt colors?  
Do you think I should start adding some paint to some quilt fabric?  
Have you been to my website and seen my paintings?

13 comments:

sharon said...

Beautiful work Gene! Love Brighton Pass and Forbidden Crossing is amazing! Wonderful use colours! Thank you for sharing! Sharonj.

Unknown said...

I have and I think you need to paint a turtle picture someday.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Ummmm...let me think.....mmmmmm YES of course!!! You need/must let your creativity run wild Mr. Alabama. You have all it takes and more....you just relax and go for it....let the devine spirit of creativity take you wherever it may. You'll end up very happy I'm sure.

Smiles,
Kelly

LINDA BYLSMA said...

No Duh.

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

By all means, I think you should add paint to your quilts. I think your painting is wonderful!

Pat said...

Gene, I checked out your paintings, but you didn't say what medium you used, watercolor, oils, or what in your paintings.
I don't care for paints mixed with quilting, but that is personal preference. I saw some nice work with ith mixed, but still don't really care for the two or three or whatever mixed.
I'am mainly a traditionalist in quilting I guess is why. Just plain old time quilting! Nothnig added as far as paints.
Happy Quilting!

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

I love the paintings especially Forbidden Crossing. BTW did you know that the winning quilt in Paducah was painted and HEAVILY embellished with crystals. It was a tribute to JRR Tolkien.

Pat

Tangos Treasures said...

Cool painting!!
I think if it feels right to add paint to quilting, than do it! The sky's the limit & there's no quilt police!!

Pat said...

Go with your gut feeling. You know I'm not an abstract kind of gal.....but I'm sure you would have some great ideas about combining your painting and quilting.

Anonymous said...

In case you don't know what to do with this painting after your move, I love it! ;) Yes, I have seen your paintings and can't say that a relationship with your quilt-making jumped out at me. However, now that you mention it, I see the abstract quality in all that you do, and I appreciate that very much!

Rhonda said...

In the Gloaming and Blue of the Night are my favorites, Gene.
I love your color scheme which reflects in your quilts......I don't seen a problem, for lack of a better word. I love your paintings and your quilts.....I'm just sayin'

sewfunquilts said...

Yes....Gene, Any great artist does what he's called to create. GO with your calling!

Barb said...

I love your paintings.....