Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Building a Mystery

I have been building this evening.  I got an email that my order had come in and I could pick it up.  Great!  I want it....I need it - that is why I ordered it.  No, I am not telling you what "it" is yet.  Didn't you read the title?  It is a mystery.

So I got the box home and opened it.
LOTS of pieces and hardware - hmmm. I think - does that mean lots of work?
(yes it does!) 

So I started laying out the pieces to get an idea what I was dealing with. 

This is getting interesting. (or is that scary?)













So I start following the directions and slowly, painfully slowly, it starts to take form

At this point I am having thoughts - not necessarily nice ones - about the manufacturer.
I am also thinking I know where I will  probably have my next career - I can be a sailor.  I am pretty sure I know how to talk like one. (yikes, I am glad no one heard that language) 

I am also thinking of going back to the website and looking for the fine print that mentions that "an engineering degree is helpful, but not required"  Oh yeah, and how about that disclaimer that should have been there about needing 3 hands and a contortionist's body to manage some of this?  Where was that????

Almost three hours later, I have this nice piece that is ready for a picture but is still not complete. I am thinking an hour tomorrow evening and I will be ready to do a real setup on this:

My new sewing table.   
Notice the drop leaf on the left that will extend the length of the top. I am not yet posting an "open" picture because it is incomplete.  However, there will be room to put my sewing machine AND my serger inside it for storage. AND it opens up and the machine in use goes right on top.  
This is not an expensive table as I couldn't afford one at this time. However, this will fit my needs for a while and still look nice.  (and it rolls so I can move it room to room!) 

PS- If I haven't commented on your blog post today, this is probably why.  I have been very busy. And now, 

I am tired!

22 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

tee hee been there done that!!

Quilting Lab said...

Always nice to know others have the same troubles....language!!!
Sherry

Barb said...

Wow....maybe a life as a sailor would be benificial in times of stress...HA!!

Good luck with the rest of it and I will say, I leave the room when my husband starts to assemble things.

Nancy said...

This is why I had a son...I pay him to put this kind of stuff together...It's worth every penny..

The cabinet does look nice...can't wait to see the whole thing..

Jandi said...

It looks great! I always have to put those things together. If my husband does it, the entire family's ears bleed from the profanity.

BROOKE said...

I have that same one!

luv2quilt2 said...

Don't you just love those 'some constrution required' projects? It looks good, even if not yet complete.

Pat said...

It looks great so far, Gene!!! Gary and I assembled mine together and I do know there were a few "trying" moments!!! LOL

Unknown said...

looks great, I think everyone becomes a "sailor" when assembling things

Anonymous said...

It may not have been expensive, but it's very attractive. Love the wood grain! It will serve you well.

Frummie said...

When all is said and done...it looks grand!!!
Nice work Gene.

Hugs,

Frummie
(back in Florida and missing my grandchildren in Alabama.

Thanksgiving will be here soon.

quiltingnana said...

my hubby does most of the assembling around here ..the directions often need translating...that's my job

Chartreuse Moose said...

Woohooo! Love this post...really love the sewing cabinet! Staying tuned for further adventures! ;-)

Petit Design Co. said...

I was going to guess sewing table! I hate having to assemble furniture from a box. I usually leave that up to my hubby and the kids

Micki said...

I Love the colour of the wood. Joe is the one who puts together our furniture. It always takes him hours too.
Have a rest!
Micki

Rhonda said...

Gene......this post is too funny...your descriptions are so good, I could actually picture your struggles.
Glad it all came together and you're happy with the new sewing table.

Christina said...

Congratulations on this new addition, how nice it is to improve your sewing space. I am sewing on a drafting table right now but I like to imagine an upgrade! I'm glad you have a second career lined up. Ha! Sometimes swearing just has to happen.

Pat said...

Sorry, but I have to go rest for awhile now that reading about all of the work you went thru just plain "tuckered" me all out. Whew!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Quilting!

Royce said...

Oh I just hate putting stuff together. Every who writes the directions is from another planet I'm sure. You did a great job and 3 hands and sailor language is needed to complete assembly properly. You'll love having the section on the left, and the rollers are a great idea too. Very pretty - it's a entertainment center for a creative mind.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

LOL...I know just what you mean about putting those things together...YIKES.

You did a great job and it sure will pay off. Now why do you want to roll your storage from room to room? Are you sewing in all areas of your home? Hmmmm, you may be onto something here....mobile quilting....I like it.

Kelly

Angie said...

I like your new sewing table! I guessed it as soon as I saw the 2nd picture. :0) Can't wait to see the final project done. I'm going to be checking out your blog. :0)

Vesuviusmama said...

I have one of those, almost exactly like it. I love it, but those first few hours, my feelings were the exact opposite!