Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Quick Little Project

Yesterday I stopped by Mom's house, as I usually do after work.  She wanted to go get some takeout, so we did.  We ate and talked.  Mom has a birthday coming up, so I asked what she wants for her birthday.  "I just want y'all kids to be happy, that's all." she said.  Hmm... I can't buy that or sew it either.  I will come up with something, I think. 
We also discussed a little retreat that she is going on with "the church ladies."   Mom is so excited about it.  She has been talking about it for weeks. She was given a list of things she needs to take with her. She has all but one of those things in a stack on the guest bed. (I told you she is excited about it.) However, she didn't have a notebook to take (she wants a nice clean new one. )  I told her I thought I had a spare one at home.
So after spending some time with Mom. I went home and found the internet not working. Arrrgh.  After some time on the phone with tech support, I found the bad cable and replaced it.
Then I decided to make a little project for Mom.
I had made quite a few of these quilted journals in the past:
5-Books
So, knowing that Mom's favorite color is yellow,  I dug into my stash and found some nice fabric from Riley Blake.   I had three fat quarters which is plenty for one of these with leftovers for something else. I also saw a strip of a yellow blender fabric so I added it also.
I sewed up the journal cover and put it on the composition book.  Then this morning I got to work early and "borrowed" one of the dogwoods in the parking lot for a photo shoot.



You may notice that you really only see two of the Riley Blake fabrics, one on the cover and the other as the flaps.  The third one is the lining which will only really be seen when the notebook is removed.  It is the pink version of the cover fabric.  I hope Mom likes this little surprise!

15 comments:

Barbara said...

Of course, she will love it. Maybe you can tell her that you want to see her happy too, thus this bright and cheerful notebook. I bet she smiles everytime she uses it. :)

Rhonda said...

I think your mom will love it and will be showing it off at her retreat!!!!

Unknown said...

Such a thoughtful gift, Gene! You are a good boy. :)

Jackie's Stitches said...

Gene I have no doubt your mother will love it! She'll probably show it to all of "the church ladies" and brag about how you made it for her. Mom's love nothing more than talking about their kids!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gene~ Happy early Birthday to your mom! What a wonderful idea for a gift! I use my Composition notebooks a dozen times a day! Couldn't live without them! I'll have to make some of these! I hope she has a wonderful trip with her church~~♥♥♥

Linda said...

I'll bet your mom loves it. Even more, she'll love that you took the time to do that for her! It's very pretty, by the way!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I'm thinking she'll really like it...and I hope she doesn't read your blog!!! I've been making a quilt for my sister's birthday...but I can't post a photo because I fear she'll get a wild idea and look at my blog....and ruin the surprise.

If she doesn't like it....send it to me....and I'll love it for her :)

Kelly

Vesuviusmama said...

What a great idea and a thoughtful son!

Patti Williams said...

I think your mom will really like it! After showing it off, you'll probably get orders for hundreds!!

Unknown said...

How thoughtful of you to make something that will add a nice touch to her trip. Her friends are going to be so jealous of her! :)

GerryART said...

You know darn good and well, Your mother's going to love it and show it off like crazy! ! !
Isn't it fun to make a project for some one we love ! ! !

hugs

SewCalGal said...

I think she'll love it. And great photo too. Hadn't seen a dogwood in years. Beautiful green.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

PS - your mom may like one of your FSL ME bookmarks too!

Tangos Treasures said...

She will love it!!

Pat said...

Of course she will love it and I bet she shows it around and brags about it to all who are on her retreat. I hope she has a wonderful time...she deserves it!

Kate Brown said...

I am sure she will just love it and will be bragging to the "church ladies" how marvelous you are :) Did you use a pattern for it or just made up as you went?