Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Dreams and Daisies

Hi, welcome to a glimpse at some of my past work.  I thought that today I would show you a couple of paintings that I sold during my painting days.

First is an abstract that I painted with soft washes.  I added images from hand carved stamps (that I carved) and then added more color washes over it to add depth to the image. I also used a masking technique to add color spaces such as the "pink doorway" on the left.  I call this painting "Soft Summer Dream."  It was sold via my website - Art by Gene Black


I have learned that it is possible to use my hand carved stamps for fabric painting also.  Hopefully I will have time in a few days to show you some fabric I have embellished with my personal stamps.

Is anyone interested in a video tutorial on carving stamps?



Next up, for those of you who just don't like abstract (Pat!) is a painting called "Daisy Dance." This painting is acrylic (my personal favorite painting medium) on a synthetic paper called Yupo. This paper has a smooth texture that allows the paint to "slide around."  This results in a much look that is much more free and less contrived.
This painting was donated to a fundraising auction and sold nicely.  I have another version of it hanging in my bedroom. I guess you could say I painted a short series of two.

I have learned that it is possible to use my hand carved stamps for fabric painting also.  Hopefully I will have time in a few days to show you some fabric I have embellished with my personal stamps.

Is anyone interested in a video tutorial on carving stamps?

9 comments:

Dot Moore said...

I would love to see a vidio on how to carve stamps. Please do it.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Yes I would be interested in a video on carving stamps. I think I need to know how deep to carve and which tips work best for carving.

Kate Brown said...

I love the colors in the first painting, so very pretty. Definately a color pallette that appeals to me right off. Very beautifully done. Using hand carved stamps is very cool too. I dont want to learn how to make them but I really like looking at the ones you made ;)

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I love the daisy painting!! So many colors it reminds me of my grandmother's garden. I would love to see how you create your own carved stamps.

Teresa Quilts said...

Like Kate, I love the colors in the first painting. I also love the daisies as it is one of my favorite flowers. I love most flowers, though. LOL I would love to see how to carve stamps. I've never used stamps myself, but I think it would be interesting to try.

Royce said...

I would love to know how to carve my own stamps. I love using them on fabric and most of the ones for paper the detail is just so small. I've made them from foam before but they are a bit fragile. Enjoy seeing your artwork I put one of your cards on my workbench.

Linda said...

I love your abstract, Gene!
I have an art background and have actually carved stamps before, but I'm always interested in different methods. You may carve differently than I learned and I would love to see how you do it!

Snoodles said...

Yes, yes! Um, I guess I'd better add a "please?" to that....LOL I love both those paintings, and I would really like to know how to do the carvings. :)

Snoodles said...

Oh, and I want to know more about using the stamps on fabric, after that, please!