Saturday, February 09, 2013

Making New Friends-More Mexico

Yes I promised another story from my trip to Mexico so here are two stories.

One day I was walking about the neighborhood and strayed a bit far.  I came upon this business:

The sign was there but no-one was around that day (the picture was taken another day.)  I happened to know that Peluqueria means Barber Shop.  I have this interesting quirk that I like to get a haircut on a trip. The first time I did this was on my one first trip to Mexico in the late seventies.  So, I walked into the shop. What??? It is open but no-one is around! So I walked out and looked around.  A boy of about 10-12 came running up and asked something that I guessed was "Are you looking for the barber?"  So I said yes.  He ran back the way he came and returned with another boy that looked about 15-16 chasing him.  In my mind I said, "Oh the older brother speaks English."  Nope! No English.  He was the barber. Ha ha!  I pointed to one of the pictures on the wall. And tried to say "Like this but longer on top"  He looked confused and said "Just a minute" (in Spanish of course)
I waited and he ran into the house beside the shop.  He came back with his grandfather who DID speak English.  So I told him what I wanted and he translated.  Alex, the barber started cutting my hair and Grandfather (abuelo in Spanish) stayed and talked to me the entire time.  I found out that Alex is 20 and has been cutting hair since he was (gasp!) ten years old.  And Grandfather's name is Frank (Francisco.)
After the cut and as I was paying, I saw a musical instrument, a recorder, laying on a counter.  I asked if Alex played it.  Yes he does. So I pulled my penny whistle out of my backpack and played a few notes. Alex grinned widely. Ha ha....music makes a connection regardless of language.
Here is  a picture of Alex taken the same day as the above picture.
Alex - Alejandro

Another day, I decided to go to the main square in town which is a nice park with lots of benches.  I found an area where I didn't think I would be bothering anyone and sat down. I pulled out my pennywhistle and started playing.  There were two attractive young ladies taking pictures of each other.  Then I noticed them coming my way. They both pulled out iPhones and started taking pictures of me.  I smiled and finished my tune.  One of them spoke English and asked if they could take pictures of them with me.  I said "Yes, but you have to take some with my camera too" She smiled a happy smile and said Certainly.  After the pictures she introduced herself as Mariela and her friend Dasy (like Daisy but without an "i" and pronounced Dah-see ---that is an "ahhh" sound; not a long "a" )
She also asked about the penny whistle.  I explained it to her.  She said "I love everything about Ireland, but I have never been there"  I said "I haven't either."
Here are pictures of me with the two adorable young ladies.
Dasy

Mariela
Once again music helped me make new friends.  These two were from another state in Mexico and were sightseeing.  Who knew that I was one of the sights to see in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico ?

18 comments:

Jean(ie) said...

Isn't it wonderful to get out and meet new friends all over the world. It truly enriches our lives and souls. The world is getting smaller. Bit I also think it's smaller in a good way, as we can all celebrate our commonality and learn from the diversity.

Unknown said...

awesome! music always draws others. :)

Jackie's Stitches said...

I loved hearing both of these adventures! Music really is one of universal languages. Once we find something in common with someone, it really doesn't matter how different they are. We just have to give it a chance!

Pat said...

GREAT photos. Very nice that your music has helped you meet so many nice folks in Mexico. I think music is a good "ice breaker"....because it is an international language!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Music is definitely the universal language and full of emotion. Thanks for sharing a bit about your trip :)

Cindy said...

Enjoyed your stories, Gene. YOu must have a nice way about you that makes people gravitate towards you.

BTW, how'd ya like the haircut?

Beth said...

Music seems to make good memories for you. I love music but have no musical ability. Thanks for sharing a bit about your new friends.

Vicki W said...

Great stories! It's so nice to travel and get away from the tourist areas so you can meet the real people of a city. I do it through visiting fabric stores.

Rhonda said...

What a great adventure. Music speaks in all languages!!

Teresa Quilts said...

Gene,I so enjoyed this story. You know what a sucker I am for music!

sewfunquilts said...

Sounds like a wonderful day...great haircut, music & new friends. It's a terrific combination.

Barb said...

What a fun time...enjoyed the stories.

Kate Brown said...

I am sure the music helped but I think there is something about you that just draws people to you and makes them like you. LOL it is funny you became a tourist attraction. You should have put out a tin cup and spent the day :)

Barbara said...

Life has been good it appears! :)

Melissa said...

Looks like fun. Music is just amazing how it can bring people together.

Snoodles said...

How fun to hear more about your trip! Love the story about the barbershop, and the ladies enjoying your music. I like your pennywhistle songs! :)

Inch Worm Fabrics said...

Those are such fun experiences. It makes Mexico seem less wild, the way the news makes it seem.

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

Loved your anecdotes - "a pennywhistle is worth a thousand new friends!"