Monday, February 18, 2013

Thread and Scrap Catcher

While wandering around the internet I found this lovely simple FREE pattern.  It is designed for laminated fabrics, but I didn't have any, so I used cotton. I also had a pre-pieced chunk of fabric that was big enough for the outside. So I decided to try it with that just to see how easy or hard the pattern was. In a very short time I had this completed.
The pattern is designed by Lila Tueller.  It is a bit hidden in the picture but at the top left there is a hanging loop.  The pattern called for grosgrain ribbon but I improvised with left over binding.  I made a tube, turned it and called it good.
I will be making this again with some home decor fabric that I already have, it has a smooth surface that I am sure will make this easy to empty. (Ease of emptying is one of the reasons for using a laminate.) The home dec fabric will also give it more body so that it will hold its shape better.  I will also adjust the size since for sewing bits it doesn't need to be as tall.

And, yes, I know that the hearts are wrong side up. I wanted the pieced band around the top, so I am ignoring the hearts. Ha ha..or I could say that sewing makes me so happy my heart turns flips!

These would also make great trash bags for the car.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Going to check out the link, Gene. Thank you. Yours looks perfect!

Barbara said...

This is great. Who says hearts don't flip? I think either side up is right side up. In the words of someone, somewhere "call it good". ;)

Beth said...

Always a great thing to have....a bag for those threads and scraps. I always intend to make one for when I go to bee or class, think I will try this one.
Thanks for the link