Monday, February 04, 2013

Top of the World

I have been largely missing lately as you may have noticed.  A friend and I went on an adventure.  We went to a lovely place called Merida.  It is on the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico and is actually the capital of the state of Yucatan.  I had a great time letting go of stress and working on my Spanish (which is still very poor.)
 Almost every day I went to the market for fresh fruit and/or juice.  We ate at  several places. One of my favorite was a cocina economica, which is a place where you buy prepared food to take home.  This was only a couple of blocks away from the place we were staying. We stayed in a privately owned Studio apartment in a true Mexican neighborhood.  It just so happened that I took a couple of my pennywhistles along with me and played while sitting out on the 2nd floor terrace.  This led to an interesting experience.  You see, across the street was a house that was being rented by some musicians who had jobs playing with the Symphony in town.  One day, I was out on the street trying to figure out what a particular tree in a nearby yard was. (It was an African Tulip Tree) One of the ladies (young compared to me) came out and spoke.  She said "We have been wanting to meet you." That rather surprised me. They had heard me playing the pennywhistle.  Then came the real surprise. She said that they had really enjoyed hearing me play.  We chatted for a moment and decided I would come over one afternoon the next week and see her harp.  The day I went over, I also met one of the French Horn players named Meredith.  We had quite a nice chat.
Later I googled the Harpist's name and found out that she is an award winning harpist.  Yep, that put me on top of the world.
Another day, we went to some ruins South of the city. This was a great place because unlike some ruins you can climb up on things.

Here I am on top of the world again.  This structure was pretty high. (I am working on overcoming my fear of heights.)
Then I realized I had a problem- I have to get down from here. And those steps are STEEP!
Let me sit and think about this:
Okay, I confess.  I came down most of the way on my tush. When I got closer to the bottom I did step down the last 5-6 steps.
You will see more pics later.
Oh, here are photos of our appetizers and meal at the beach one day.



Let me tell you, that fish was fresh and delicious.



24 comments:

Pat said...

How nice about the harpist!!! AND...I had to chuckle at you on "top of the world" AND your comments about coming down. Our church youth group said the same thing (and showed similar photos of those kinds of steps) from an area of ruins they climbed in the Mexican mountains on a mission trip last summer. They said it was easy to get up there and then they were quite a bit nervous on the way down on those steep, narrow steps!

Sue said...

Gene, I loved reading your post. Mexico is so far from here, I'll probably never go there but we are getting to the USA later this year.

Lynn said...

I've been to Merida and those ruins. I came down on my tush too!

Tangos Treasures said...

Oh how cool on all!! I'm working on the heights thing too!! LOL

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Just like Jimmy Cagney...Top of the World Ma!......grin....yep I'm old as dirt.

You sure know how to live your life. Good for you.

Jean(ie) said...

oooh, I bet it was cool to touch the stones. Oh, the stories they could tell!

quiltmom anna said...

I have not been to Mexico for a very long time but I loved it when we went there in the early 90's. The food was great- the people friendly and the pace of life wonderful. It was the most relaxing holiday that we ever had..
The ruins look wonderful though the stairs would scare me off... Thanks for sharing the beautiful Mexican sunshine.
Regards, Anna

Teresa Quilts said...

So glad you had such a great time. Love the pics.

Vicki W said...

Oh,what fun!

Inch Worm Fabrics said...

What a fun adventure. I have always wanted to see some of the ruins down that way but I am not married to an adventuours person. Maybe one day.

Jackie said...

That is wonderful... good for you for climbing to the top!

Beth said...

I did miss you. Glad you were away having fun and not working too hard.
Always great to stay in an actual neighborhood.
Happy you were able to get down from that height. I can climb up. but going down is bit harder. I say however you made it back down, it is all good.

Teresa Quilts said...

I just read what you said about Google+. Do I show as a no reply blogger now?

Cindy said...

How fun, Gene. It really sounds like you enjoyed your time.

Barbara said...

Delightful getaway! :)

Rhonda said...

Good for you. Taking time to relax is something we all need to do more of. Glad you went somewhere with great FOOD and sites!!

Barb said...

I truly enjoyed your post. I love seeing the ruins and you on top of them. What a compliment to be paid to you by a professional. Can't wait to hear more.

SewCalGal said...

I recall your prior trips and glad to hear you had another adventure to Mexico. I do so hope you and your friend had a great time. Mexico is such an interesting place to visit. Love seeing your photos and hearing your insights.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Robyn of Coffee and Cotton said...

Wow Gene! What a wonderful getaway. Great encounter with the musicians... you know me, I want to know more about the French Horn player. Yup, I'm biased :-)

Snoodles said...

Heehee! The first thing I thought of was Jimmy Cagney, too! Glad that you had a nice trip...sounds great, and looking forward to seeing more!

Royce said...

What a wonderful escape you had. I've never been to that area and it would be so nice. That was a really great thing to happen to meet the musicians and have them appreciate your playing. Sounds like it was a great trip all the way around.

Melissa said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip!

Patty said...

What an adventure! Heights can be tricky both my husband and son have problems with heights baby steps Gene, baby steps!

Kate Brown said...

You must be very very talented on the pennywhistle to get so much attention when you play! I am pretty sure I would have come down on my tush too :)