Monday, February 18, 2013

Thread and Scrap Catcher Take Two

After seeing how easy the thread catcher was to make with quilting cottons, I got brave.  I took out a couple of heavier weight home dec fabrics and made another one.  The first one I left at a friend's house to have there when I sew there.

In case you are wondering if I really need this, let me show you what I have been using.
Yes, it is a box that instant oatmeal came in.  It was handy and I needed something that day--how long  ago was that....uh..nevermind!
You can see some scraps in that box from this very project.  Yup!  Pink and Green fabrics with polka dots were what I had.

Now doesn't that look nicer?   I left off the hanging loop since this will just sit on the table. 
And below you can see the inside a little better.
I did make this one a little shorter than the first one.  And let me give you a link to the pattern. You can easily adjust the "short" measurement to make it shorter. I am sure you could adjust the longer measurement if you wanted a bigger one but this size is great for me. 

The sewing machine in the picture is a new addition.  It is a Janome MC 6600P.  It seems to be a real workhorse of  a machine.  I knew going in that it does not have a free arm.  But that is the only thing that seems to be missing.  This will replace my BabyLock machine as my quilt making machine. I will likely sell the BabyLock as I don't need it anymore.
I have found that this machine is great for free-motion quilting.  The trick is to increase the upper tension quite a bit. Then it does a wonderful job.  This is also a heavy machine and a friend who is an engineer told me that it sounds like a well made and sturdy machine. That made me happy with my decision to buy it when I could.  I got a great price on it.  It is also a high shank machine.  I had never had a high shank machine before. I think that it mainly allows for more height under the arm.


12 comments:

Teresa Quilts said...

Gene, I didn't know you were getting a new machine! Congrats! I was going to get that machine, but hubby wanted me to have one with a free arm, too, so I got the 7700 Horizon and I love it! Love the thread catcher!

Katrina said...

Nice new machine! I have the Pfaff Hobby Grand Quilter which is kind of like this machine - a total work horse! And another machine of course LOL!

Cute thread catcher!

Barb said...

I would say that you need that catcher, the floor is my catcher...HA!!! I do have several catchers but the floor just seems to get most of it.

Another machine? A plexie glass table would be great!

Rhonda said...

Cool and thanks for the link. How did you know I was using a Tide box as a trash can....hehehehehe

Pat said...

Good luck with the new machine. I wish I could learn to do better with free-motion quilting on my machine. Maybe I need to think more about the tension I use when I try to do that. :( Your thread catcher is nice....love how colorful it is!

Michelle said...

Did you know that Janome sells a special bobbin holder especially for free motion quilting?It has a blue paint dot on it so you can easily tell the two apart. I too have this machine, but have not used it for fmq'ing, as I have a Juki on a quilting frame. I do love it for sewing though!

Melissa said...

I have a Horizon 7700 and love it, I have a feeling you will like the 6600. Lovely thread catcher!

Tangos Treasures said...

Very cool!!! Congratulations on the new machine!!!

Beth said...

Before the Horizon 7700 came out, the 6600 was my favorite machine. I think FMQ might be a bit easier on the 7700 but I still love sewing on the 6600. (Just in case you think I have a ton of machines, I don't. The shop where I work is a Janome dearler so I get to play on all the models).
Congrats on the 6600. It is a workhorse.

Snoodles said...

Congrats on your new machine! Hey, we all make do with what we have....I have several boxes around here that were used for food or office supplies in a previous life! Haha!

Barbara said...

Love the thread catchers, but I'm with Barb, my floor does most of the catching. Best of luck with the new machine. I know you will make it sing and dance (maybe even play the penny whistle ;)

Kate Brown said...

I love the thread catcher! Nothing aggrivates me more than threads all over the place. I am going to have to make one :) I hope you get many happy years out of your new machine!