Monday, February 25, 2013

Some Embroidery on Mug Rugs

Machine Embroidery is a nice way to add embellishment to a mug rug, a quilt or even towels.  I needed to make some mug rugs. So I decided to use the embroidery machine to make them instead of piecing.  The truth is, piecing would have been faster.  Still I do like what I came up with.



For the first one I chose to use a design I got from Marjorie at B-Quilts. I realized once I started that I didn't have a die with the 1" circle so I had to cut those by hand. Oops, mine were not perfect so there are some bits that stick out beyond the embroidery.  (Note to self -see if you can get one of those dies.)
The larger circles are cut with the AccuQuilt GO! Circle die.

The third one needed a honeybee.  I looked through my design library and could not find a honeybee.  I didn't want to buy another design since I am attempting to learn digitizing.  So I sat down and digitized this little bee. It is not as great a design as I wanted it to "bee" but it works.

All of the other designs are programed into my embroidery machine. (They came pre-installed.)
My edge finishes are quirky to be nice about it. Still I think these are cute mug rugs.

What is your favorite way to make a mug rug? Do you like the embroidered ones?

Oh yes.  there is a giveaway at Hilachas (I love that name) Blog You could win one of two sets of 6 fat quarters.  But I want the Jungle Fever ones...okay?

16 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

They came out too cute!!

Unknown said...

love the turtle

Beth said...

So cute!!! That bee is adorable.

beaquilter said...

really cute! I finally found my PED basic so now I can download more PES files AND buy EQ stitch eventually. making mug rugs like this is a great idea!! have you tried non-embroidery threads? someone suggested that to me, I've done it with labels, but not with dense designs

Barbara said...

That is one happy little smiling bee, very nice work!

Teresa Quilts said...

These are very cute! I wish I had an embroidery machine. You did a great job on the turtle. I bet their feet aren't perfectly round either. :D

Average Quilter said...

It's just so much fun playing with the embroidery machine

Pat Merkle said...

Very nice!

Cindy said...

I "do" mugrugs as you probably know. And, if you didn't know, you'll find out in March....LOL

Barb said...

Adorable mug rugs....

Snoodles said...

Love your mugrugs!

Royce said...

The mug rugs are just too cute. Really like the turtle. I normally use my mug rugs to enjoy my non planned piecing and crazy free motion. I love making them cause when you have a small project like that you can do some great experimenting.

Jean(ie) said...

Gene, those are too cute! I love your little bee!

I have yet to try out the embroidery function of my izzy. I need to get on that. It's the reason I bought the machine. LOL!

Rhonda said...

Very cute mug rugs and a great idea to do machine embroidery. Gives me ideas!!!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful work Gene! I don't have a embroidery machine but it sure looks like fun! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

SewCalGal said...

Very cute Gene. And, I think you did a super job digitizing that Bee. I'm amazed. You are a natural digitizer. Great job.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com