Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Time to Wash Up

I haven't been very productive the last few days.   I have been trying to get things back to normal. Work has been busy also.   We did make a couple of "road trips" for work. Luckily I got to ride and didn't have to drive. So I decided to take a little hand work along.
As I was putting away things I took to the Gee's Bend class, I found something I had started stashed away in a tote bag.  Hmmmm... this looks perfect for working on while I ride, I thought.  

I suppose it was!  I now have three nice new crocheted dish cloths.
I used two different variegated yarns, both Peaches and Creme brand.  That is important because it is 100% cotton and that is best for a dish cloth - at least in my opinion. So I did one with the bright, then one with the pastel which makes me think of Easter eggs.  then I took the leftovers and made one with  a combination of the two (it is on the right of the picture.)
If you crochet, these are super easy to make.  I chain stitched a row about the size I wanted. (you can see they are not the same sizes - but that is okay.) Then I did two extra stitches to turn the end and in the third stitch started single crocheting in each chain.  At the end I did two more chains to turn the corner and repeated until it was big enough.
I like a finished edge so I did single crochet all around the outside.   Now all I have to do is wash them when I do laundry and they will be ready to use.

So,  maybe I didn't get any sewing done, but I did a lot of stitches.

What are you stitchin' on?

10 comments:

Lynn said...

Interesting. I'm crocheting dishclothes too. Yours are lovely!

Teresa Quilts said...

I have been wanting to make these myself! Love yours.

Rhonda said...

You are so talented. Love the dish pads. I still working on my barns. I've done 4 and one to go.

Jean(ie) said...

I'm finishing up my first small quilt from a book I bought. I have a bit of quilting to "unsew" then I need to get the blocks re-quilted and bound.

Jodi said...

Nice, Gene! I don't crochet but someone gave me a bunch and I think of her every time they make it to the top of the dishcloth pile. I wish I could do handwork in the car - it makes me car sick!

Sheila said...

I love your crochet dishcloths. Especially the colors. I want to try to crochet one using this pattern. I use the Peaches n Creme and the Sugar n Creme cotton yarns for all mine. When I took knitting classes earlier this year, my instructor said to use only cotton yarns for face and dishcloths.

Barbara said...

I wouldn't be without one of these in my kitchen, thanks to my daughter who crochets well. I can knit them, but they are a looser weave, not as absorbent. Don't you just love the variegated yarns?!

Cindy said...

Good washing needed here - and I"m not talking dishes....ROFLOL

Lindi said...

They look lovely, Gene - bright, pretty and cheery, but I (and several of my crafty friends) would like to know why one would knit/crochet a dish cloth? We just don't get it.:) Maybe you could explain for us? Perhaps even convince us? lol

Beth said...

Pretty Gene. I knit mine. I do have a bunch of yarn waiting to be knit into more dish cloths.