Sunday, April 14, 2013

Class Act


Yesterday I mentioned that I am off this week to a class taught by two of the Gee's Bend Quilters. One response I got was from a friend I have known since high school.  When I replied to her, I practically wrote this blog post. I have edited it just a bit and embellished it some.

I have never been to a quilting class out of my home town.  However, I have gone to this camp for art classes in the past.  I am used to going to art classes where they tell you exactly what to bring. Typically it is a list that is at least a full page sometimes two and very specific. They tell you brand and colors of paint that you will need to have.
This class is a change for me. Here are the requirements for this class:

Bring your heart and mind and be ready for a good day's work!  If you prefer to bring your own fabrics, please do.  Mary Ann and China will have plenty for you if you do not.  If you have a sewing machine and/or extension cord, please bring them.  There will be a sewing machine for the class to take turns on.  There will be a mixture of machine and hand stitching.  A thimble and pair of scissors will also be helpful.

I am probably WAAAAY over-packed.



I have two bags of fabric, rotary cutter and mat, of course I am taking a sewing machine - and thinking I will take my Gidget table to put it on. I have an iron packed too. LOL.... I need to see if I have a thimble in my stuff. If not, I can stop at Hobby Lobby on my way to the camp.
Oh, the blue "American Heart Association" bag of fabric is for anyone in the class that wants it to use. Sharing is part of the fun of it, I think.  Everything in the bag comes from my scraps  I ironed them so they wouldn't look quite so bad. The ivory bag in the back is packed tight with fabric also. You can see the end of my cutting mat sticking out, but other than that it is fabric.
The trunk of my car will be very full once I get it all in there along with my suitcase, bedroll, pillow etc. And there are a few other supplies already in the trunk.
Now, you may think this is a lot to take.  For art classes I have filled the trunk and the back seat with supplies and equipment.  I feel like I am forgetting something important. But I am sure I have plenty.
This is called The Alabama Folk School.  There will also be other classes going on. Some of them are Bluegrass music classes. Bluegrass comes from roots of Celtic and other music.  So I am taking my penny whistle and hoping to get in on an evening jam session.

After I see how this goes, I may see if I can lobby to teach a quilting class there next year.




13 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have never gone to a quilting retreat with less than a rolling suitcase full of supplies and fabric. I think you are underpacked, ha ha! As far as a thimble goes, I never learned to use one and doubt if I ever will. That is on the list for those who do use one or want to use one. It will be fun to mix their fabric in with yours for something wonderful.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I've never gone to a retreat with as little as you've packed. I drive a SUV and generally it's packed full because I bring my own chair too. I'd rather have too much then not having something I need. It sounds like you're going to have a great time - looking forward to hearing about your experiences and hope you're able to join a jam session!

Barbara Arcement said...

Have a great time on your quilting retreat. I would love to go to one someday! Can't wait to read about and see the fun things you will make at the retreat!
hugs
beebee

Jean(ie) said...

I want a full report. Have a blast~!!!!!!

I so wanted to go! I just couldn't swing two trips home (Nashville) in two months. I have a family event next month at my brother's school up in KY.

:-)

Rhonda said...

How exciting. You will have a blast. I didn't see the kitchen sink (LOL) packed. As for fabric, you can never take enough. Enjoy!!!

Barbara said...

I think you followed directions to a "T"...you are taking the things of your heart and mind. :)

Lisa Lisa said...

I've never been to a retreat, but have been gradually learning to over-pack even when I go to my quilt guild sew day. Have a great time!

Pat said...

How wonderful to take a class from Gee's Bend folks. I hope you take lots of photos so we can "share" in the experience. You will come home with a full heart, a happy spirit and a beautiful piece of work, I'm sure!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I know you will have a fantastic time. Looking forward to hearing all about your adventure.

~Laurie~ said...

Can't wait to see what you create!! WOW - Gee's Bends!!

Beth said...

I don't think one can bring too much to a quilt class/retreat.
Have a great time. I look forward to hearing all about it.

Royce said...

Oh Gene please take lots of photos. I am a HUGE fan of Gees Bend. I have a video of them (Craft In America) and just love the freedom of their quilting. Sure wish I could go - what a wonderful experience. So excited for you.

Linda C said...

You will know more next time what you could have left home and what you should have brought. No way would I want to share a machine though they did say some was hand work. I am picky about using my own machine that I know how to operate and all its idiosyncracies. I hope you had a ball!!