Sunday, June 29, 2014

A Surprise

Sunday June 29th is the last day our interim minister will be with us.  She will be taking the job of priest at a church in Cincinnati, Ohio.  She has worked quite hard at filling in while the search for a new minister took place.  In honor of her work with us, I decided to make a priest's stole for a going away present.
 There are a number of embroideries on the stole.  On the back is a knotted Celtic cross which holds meaning for her.
On the front right chest is a chalice - which is used in the sacrament of Eucharist (Holy Communion). This is a "redwork" design, but I made the cross on the chalice a different green.
On the left chest is another Celtic cross.
On the lower ends are an angel and dove, and an angel and lily.  I apparently only took a close up of one of them.
You will notice the fringe at the bottom.  It was supposed to be sewn into the hem, but I could not find the fringe when I was sewing it.  I was planning to leave it off.   Then two days after I finished, it reappeared.  So I figured out a way to add it anyway.  I am thrilled with how the fringe came out on this.  I will possibly use that method again.

Godspeed Pastor Nancy.  You will hold a place in our hearts.

My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

12 comments:

Vicki W said...

What a lovely and thoughtful gift!

Dot Moore said...

That is beautiful. What a lovely memory she will have of your church and congregation.

suemac said...

Very beautiful.

Teresa Quilts said...

Beautiful job, Gene!! I know she will love it.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is so nice and I'm sure was appreciated. Good job on it Gene!

kathyinozarks said...

beautiful gift Gene

LINDA BYLSMA said...

You never cease to amaze me.

Beth said...

What a beautiful and meaningful gift.

Four dogs and one quilter said...

What a lovely , thoughtful gift. I am sure she will treasure it.

Jeanna said...

That is a gorgeous piece Gene. I am so sure she will treasure it.

Kathleen said...

How beautiful...you should be proud, it turned out great and I am sure she will cherish it.

Barb said...

Turned out wonderfully, what a wonderful gift!