Thursday, June 19, 2014

Piece by Piece - and fused too

Some of you are probably thinking that I have forgotten all about quilting.  I know I have shown lots of weaving lately. But I do still enjoy sitting at the sewing machine and piecing.

At my retirement party, I was given a delightful basket of quilty goodness by a quilting friend who retired from our office a few years earlier. (Thanks Judy!!!)  In it was a kit that she had cut out and put into kit form. It really appeared to be a kit that was purchased, but it wasn't.  This lady has some skills in packaging and presentation.  (not to mention excellent quilting skills.)  Sadly, I forgot to take a picture before I tore into it.  Here is a picture from the party when I saw the basket - yes it brought a big happy grin.
Yesterday, I pulled out the pieces and started doing a layout since this kit had extra pieces so you can do it "your way" - I love that idea!   Before I knew it, I had wrapped a board in fleece to use as a design wall and started sewing it all together.  
Then I pulled out the pre-fused (yippee) applique pieces and started arranging that part. Next thing I knew it was ironed in place.  Wow- what a fun project.
This morning, out the front door to the mostly clean cement parking pad we went. The picture was taken and now I am blogging it.
Yes, another surprise- mister "I like lots of color" used the pieces and made this lovely neutral piece. You can't see it in this picture, but the center, which forms a diamond, is a very light tan with a tiny design on it.  When I was cutting out the branches,  I strayed from the design and made it more to my liking.  I call it "artistic license."

What are you doing these days?  I hope you are not suffering with the high temperatures we are having here in Alabama.  But if you are and you have a "stay cool" tip for me, I would love to hear it.

My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

10 comments:

Lynn said...

What a nice gift!

Sorry I don't have any stay cool tips. My solution to the AL heat was to move to Colorado. Probably not what you had in mind. LOL

sarah c said...

Loving the tans & browns. ...Other than AC and ceiling fans I guess it's hot everywhere.

Beth said...

Nothing like a basket of quilty goodness no matter what the occassion.
Air conditioning and cotton clothes...that is how I try to cope with heat.

kathyinozarks said...

what a wonderful gift-I love the colors too-we are super hot and humid here too-I say stay indoors and create-LOL

Marjorie said...

It is so much fun to have a project that's outside your usual colors. I like that piece. It's hot here too. Just a short time outside with the children and water sprinkler and then we're all back inside taking naps.

Pat said...

What a fun project and great idea your friend had to give it to you in "kit" form! It turned out really nice. I don't mind the heat.....like it a lot better than the sustained winter cold. I try to stay hydrated.....use ceiling fans....A/C also (of course).....sometimes go swimming. Also sit with a spray bottle filled with water when on the screen porch reading and sometimes mist myself with it and then when the fan blows, I feel nice and cool. No groundbreaking methods to stay cool....I'm sure you already are doing most of those yourself.

Julia said...

Que bonito post, me he paseado por tu bloc y me ha encantado, te invito a ver el mío, esta semana viajamos a la India y decoramos con piezas hindúes terrazas y jardines, espero que te guste y si es así y no eres seguidora espero que te hagas ahora, gracias por visitarme.
Elracodeldetall.blogspot.com

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

What a thoughtful gift and what a pretty design! My only tip for staying cool is to make sure you have a tall glass of iced tea and lots of fabric to play with so that you'll forget about the heat. ;-)

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

What a thoughtful gift and what a pretty design! My only tip for staying cool is to make sure you have a tall glass of iced tea and lots of fabric to play with so that you'll forget about the heat. ;-)

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

What a thoughtful gift and what a pretty design! My only tip for staying cool is to make sure you have a tall glass of iced tea and lots of fabric to play with so that you'll forget about the heat. ;-)