Saturday, June 07, 2014

Weave Then Sew

After weaving over twelve feet of fabric that was roughly eleven inches wide,  I took it off the loom and started sewing.  Yes, it is a bit scary to cut into your woven fabric. But if you do it properly, it will not fall apart.  Before you cut a piece you zigzag on each side of the cut line. I used the zigzag stitch that has a straight line of stitching to one side of it.

I had plans to make a shirt. This would be for me.   One of the joys of being retired is that I can make something for myself without any guilt.
So I cut the fabric into pieces that were 24 inches each - except for one piece which was shorter. That piece was cut in half lengthwise to make the parts under the arms.

Okay, enough talk here are the pictures:
 Ignore that odd look on my face - I had to take "selfies" and I hate doing that.
Then there is the back  with me wearing the shirt.  I will have to wear a T-shirt under it.  I am a little bit modest. 

I decided to take it outside and get some pictures on the hanger. 
Front

and back
 It is a bit loud perhaps,  but I am calling it "Art to Wear."

I have a nice piece of this left over.  I am deciding what I will make with it. And I still have a warp on the loom so I can weave MORE!



My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

13 comments:

sarah c said...

Great shirt!

Teresa Quilts said...

Reminds me of Joseph's coat of many colors, Gene. Great job!

Unknown said...

Great piecing job! Love the look!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Looks great!

Jeanna said...

It turned out very nice Gene. A piece of art for sure! How fun to be able to weave your own unique fabric!

Kathy S. said...

That's awesome, Gene. It's a very fun art to wear. Great finish!

Barbara Arcement said...

great shirt...with the left over fabric maybe you can make a bag..a cross body bag would be nice in that fabric. I am very impresses with this fabric you made!
I need to get out my loom and get to weaving again.
hugs,
beebee

Elaine said...

That is fabulous! Looks great on you. That loom is taking a front seat in your new retired life:)

Denise said...

I LOVE IT~

suemac said...

Nice.

Patti Williams said...

Nice!

Beth said...

Wearable art! express your creativity!

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Wow, I learned a bit of loom weaving last year at my local art center and you have done a great job with this piece. And then to make it a vest too !~! WOW, I found your link at Richard and Tanya's link-up. May I subscribe to your blog ?~!