Monday, December 15, 2014

A Trip to the Beach (mini quilt)

Since it has been cold and I am feeling under the weather,  I got a bit of inspiration by pulling out some hand dyed fabrics from Vicki Welsh.   One of the gradients, Anatola, looked so bright and sunny that it made me feel a little better.

I pulled out some pre-fused fabrics. Some were precut shapes, some were "scraps. "   I keep all those scraps as they can be used "someday."  This quilt proves it.
First I will show you the finish.
 Now let me tell you about the process just a bit.  As I was playing with the scraps, I made two flowers   But then I added a stem to one of them and suddenly I saw a palm tree.   So, I switched gears.
I placed some scraps around the bottom to make "beach" and water.  I added an aqua "sun" in the sky. This is fantasy so you can be a little crazy with it.
It looked like this:

I wasn't entirely happy about it, so I posted this photo to an online group and asked for suggestions.  Some I ignored, some I took under advisement.  Some I said "YES!"
So I modified, got everything where I wanted it and fused it to the background and batting.

Then I did some hand stitching, starting with the focal point, the tree.


I added the birds in the sky as one commenter suggested.
Then I started quilting it. For the sky I did rays from the sun, but then cloud shapes in the rest of the sky so that all of the sky would be quilted  The land and sea I did with simply wavy lines that remind me of the beach.

I finally added a  layer of stiff stabilizer on the back and fused random leftover pieces to the back. I added a fused binding and then some decorative stitches to really secure it.  Whew!  Then I did a handmade hanger on the back, signed it, and it was done.

Today I am going to the doctor just to play it safe.  This "crud" had been here longer than I feel comfortable with.
But honestly, I want to feel better so I can make some more of these fun decorative wall quilts.

My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

9 comments:

Vicki W said...

ne, I love it! I'm so glad you cut into that gradient. There's always more if you miss it.

Thearica said...

Nothing makes you feel better than making a fun cheery quilt... except maybe a trip to the dr. just to be sure what you have isnt more than what you think. get well soon!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Love it!! I like the process when one thing just leads to another and before you know it - it's done. Hope the Doctor visit went well and that you get well soon - you really do need to make some more of these fun little quilts! - ;))

Barbara said...

Sounds like a project for not feeling well, but I bet it made you feel better. Very cute, and warmly colorful!

Molly said...

What a wonderful quilt/wall hanging! It brightens my day and makes me want to do something similar, even though I'm no quilter.

Your talent and skills amaze me. Thank you for sharing.

Kathleen said...

Love your recent wall art quilts. The beach one actually made me smile and go "ahhhh"! So, even though you are feeling like "crud", you are still creating beautiful pieces :)
I do hope you're feeling better though.

Beth said...

Sorry you are not feeling well. That cute piece sure looks like a bit of beachy fun.

Thearica said...

I announced the winners of the Mimosa bundles... Santa said come see. :)

kathyinozarks said...

I love it Gene, hope you feel better soon. and congrats on your latest fabric win-