Wednesday, January 07, 2015

A small bit of sewing

Over the holidays, I visited my Nana in Florida. She has a lovely little teacup Maltese.  She had bought a nice coat for him but it was lined and really too heavy for all but the coldest of days. So she asked if I could make one for him. I used the existing coat as a pattern.
The fun part was where to get the fabric. However, a lovely friend there told me that her daughter had a car trunk full of samples from the interior decorating office she works in.  They were destined for the dumpster.  ARRRGGGH!!! The mom had said "save them until Gene looks at them and see if he wants some."    (famous last words "if he wants some")
I now have this bag full of samples.

I put the tape measure across it to give you an idea.  It is quite heavy.  There are lots of linen fabrics in there. I am sure I can have some fun with these.
Now, back to the story.
There were two large samples in a lovely woolen fabric.  So I made two coats. Sadly I only took a picture of one of them.
The other coat is almost identical but the red part of the tartan plaid is aqua.  I think I surprised myself with my garment making skills.  Ha ha.  It was actually pretty easy to make.



My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

9 comments:

DebbieB said...

Well done, on both the garment and the fabric score!

kathyinozarks said...

just adorable Gene-and I love decorators samples-several years ago a friend of ours gave me a couple huge bags I kept all the cotton and linen and took the poly stuff to the resale shop

Peter Lappin said...

Love the coat -- I need to sew for my chihuahuas again....

Linda C said...

well done, Gene!

Jeanna said...

Oh my goodness Gene. You really out did yourself this time. That is talent...making a puppy coat without a proper pattern. Such an adorable little fella too!

Beth said...

Such a cute puppy. My little guy might need a coat and some boots this winter if it doesn't warm up. So far he has not liked having "clothes" on, but maybe if it is cold enough...?
Great job on the coat.

Snoodles said...

That's adorable! I'm being to think that you can do absolutely anything! Great job!

Kathleen said...

So cute!!!!

Richard Healey said...

That looks way fun. I bet the dog would love you to visit again.