Friday, January 16, 2015

Tangled Threads- Well not really

I spent the last three days taking an intensive weaving class at Handen Studios Saori.  We concentrated on learning to wind and thread on the warps.   I will confess that I had done this a couple of times and my biggest fear was that it would just be a lot of Tangled Threads, and my loom would still be empty.

I know, I know.  You are thinking "but you weave all the time and you did a video on warping" - True -but it is different on the rigid heddle loom when I do a direct warp - there is no warping board involved.  And on my Saori floor loom, there are premade warps that you can buy.  I have used premade warps for it.

So, in the class we did short narrow warps that we then wove off.  Here is the first one I made and wove.
We also learned to not dismiss colors because we don't like them.  While I have learned to like green, the "green gold" on the left side of this one was a color I didn't like at all.  So it was one of my requirements for this warp.  Guess what. now I will easily use that color.  It really sings with the peacock blue. 

We also learned to use the Saori warping tools correctly. In the picture below I am sitting at a table putting my warp through the reed of my loom. My classmate has her warp through the reed and is pulling it through the heddles.  This is SO much easier than doing it on the loom.  As far as I know, the Saori loom is the only floor loom that you can do this on. It is a real back saver. 


I also made a warp with "nubby yarns."  Those are more difficult to wind on the loom but I did it easily.
I used the green gold again just to cement the idea in my mind that all colors have a use.
During the process of weaving off these warps we also learned some fun weaving options. I have some great ideas to try.

Finally we made a warp to take home with us.  We had the option of threading it on our reed and heddles to carry home, but we all chose the "brave or crazy" option of tying up the warp to put on at home.  Here is the last warp I made.
I used three greens, a yellow/orange, and a salmon/pink.  Not colors I would normally choose, but I loved the combination once I had them 'tangled" together.

So if you missed me a bit, that is what I was doing.  I had no time to comment or even read other blogs.
I am going to close by sharing the "slogans" of the Saori Philosophy.
1) Consider the differences between a machine and a human being.
2) Be bold and adventurous
3) Let’s look out through eyes that shine. 
4) Inspire one another, and everyone in the group. 
My interpretation:
1) Don't try to make "perfection" - a machine can do that. Show your creative side and use mistakes as part of the design.
2) Just go for it.
3) Create happily and see the "mistakes" as four leaf clovers
4) --well just what it says--  Don't be afraid to be a Pollyanna - it is much better than a  "Debbie Downer."


Oh yes, there is a sale at Craftsy
Shop Craftsy's New Year, New You Flash Sale
Yarn & Fiber Arts Classes – Craftsy's New Year, New You Flash Sale
Sewing & Quilting Classes - Craftsy's New Year, New You Flash Sale
Jewelry & Paper Crafts Classes - Craftsy's New Year, New You Flash Sale
Home & Garden Classes - Craftsy's New Year, New You Flash Sale
Cake & Cooking Classes - Craftsy's New Year, New You Flash Sale
Art & Photo Classes - Craftsy's New Year, New You Flash Sale 

My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

5 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

sounds like and excellent class. I leaned to weave on the floor loom and it does get to your back-especially now that I am older-while threading. I think thats why my warp is still on the loom but not threaded yet. I would think it would be so much cheaper for you to make your own warp and not buy it pre done.
looks lovely Gene

Barbara said...

Ok, Gene and Kathy, two of my buddies, I feel left out! I love that you both know what you are talking about! You are both weavers weavers!

Barbara said...

Wish I had as much to show for the past three days. Lol. Great work!

Barb said...

What fun....looks like you are becoming the master weaver!!

suemac said...

Looks like you had a great time. Keep up the good work,