Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Breaking a Vow - Quilting

How do you feel about breaking vows?  This is not a sacred vow. No, this is a vow that I made to myself.  You see a few years ago, I participated in a mystery quilt along.   Near the end, the designer said something like "Oops, my pattern doesn't work. You need to rip out parts"  ARRRGH.  At that point I promised myself "no more mystery quilts."
Famous last words!

Today I started - albeit late - on a mystery quilt.  Since the first clue had been taken down already, a friend kindly sent it to me.  Now I have this interesting "quilt mess" on my sewing table.
We are sewing LOTS of 2 1/2" squares into 8 by 8 grids. I am cheating a bit by sewing some of mine as groups of  2 1/2" strips that I then cut into 2 1/2" sections. My quarter inch seam has "rusted" while I have been weaving and doing improvisational quilt piecing.  Some of my intersections are nice and some -- well not so nice.

I will leave them as is - just so the bigger block is the correct size.  I am not about "perfection" in quilting. Done is better than perfect!
This is allowing me to use up some scraps and random fat quarters that I have collected. I also had a 2 1/2" mini charm pack that I got as a "Deal of the Day" from Missouri Star Quilt Company- in it goes too!

In a few days I will be reviewing a new book by Christina Cameli.
If you find yourself quilting the same design all the time, this may be a way to "cure" that illness.  I need to do some FMQ with patterns from the book.  But I can tell you already that I find it inspiring.


My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

8 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Gene, I didn't realize that Christina had a new book out - I have her first book and found that one to be very inspiring. Might have to add this one to my "wish list" - can't wait for your review. And good luck on your "mystery quilt" - ;))

Beth said...

Good luck on the mystery quilt. Hope you love it.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I will never again do a mystery. I just finished all the blocks for Grand Illusiion, put it on my wall and it gave a migraine attack. Looks like whirring food processors. I love Bonnie Hunter, but this quilt has me swearing off mystery quilts.

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

I like the colors you're using for the mystery quilt - journey on!
Linda

Barbara said...

Breaking rules is what you do well, in addition to everything else. :)

Jeanna said...

Mystery quilts can be fun...can't wait to see yours.

What machine do you use when you doing FMQ?

Barb said...

I like Barbara's comment, breaking rules is what you do best...HA!!!!!! Still laughing....

Susan said...

Never say never! ;o) Your first step is looking great! I'm hoping to finish step two this afternoon.