Sunday, January 18, 2015

Weaving the Warp I Made

I showed the "tangled" threads in the last post.  It was the warp I made at my weaving class.  Someone mentioned that a lot of what I said was "weaving language."  So let me give some definitions.
Warp - the threads that form the basis of the fabric.  The selvedge of fabric is along the warp threads. It is the lengthwise grain of the fabric.

Weft - the threads that cross the warp in an over and under pattern and create fabric as they do so. The weft is the cross grain of the fabric.

[If ever I use a term you don't understand you can either ask me or ask Google.]

When we begin weaving, we begin with a warp. One very cool feature of a Saori loom is that you can buy ready made or "prewound" warps.  But, as one progresses in weaving they often desire to make (wind) their own warps.  So I took an intensive class with an emphasis on making a warp and threading the warp on the loom.

We made three warps in the class.  Two of them we wove in the class while learning some fun weaving techniques.  The third one I brought home. Once home, I decided to add more to that warp - something we had NOT learned in the class.  But I was bold and adventurous after having so much success in the class.  So I took my homemade warping frame (a device to wind the warp on) and wound on 50 more threads in purple and cream.
I had wonderful success in getting it on the loom. (Yaaay!)
There were no significant tangled areas and it went on smoothly as you can see in the picture.
I actually managed to wait until later in the day to start weaving it.  But weave on it, I did.  It is now more than 2/3rds finished
I don't know what the fabric will become as one of the tenets of Saori is to "weave without intentions."  The joy is in the process for the moment. As we say, "The cloth will tell me what it wants to become."



My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

Absolutely beautiful cloth! How restful it must be to weave with no intention....like my mindless sewing of strings. This is your talent area to the nth degree I think!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

WOW!! Absolutely beautiful!! - ;))

suemac said...

Glad you got it on your loom successfully. Great job. Looks like you are having so much fun.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Stunning workmanship; I love the color choices, Gene, jolly well done !~!

Marjorie said...

Beautiful work. Love your colors and the resulting fabric.

Barbara said...

Thanks for the word definitions, and I like weaving myself, but without the large loom and benefit of a class, this is still over my head. That said though, I appreciate the beauty of the outcome no less than anyone!

Beth said...

I know that I would have only tangled threads. LOL Looks like you learned a lot in that class, and your weaving without purpose is so very beautiful. I hope it tells you what it wants to be soon.