Thursday, April 23, 2015

Quilt Progress and some Silk Spinning

The Arrowhead and Old Italian blocks are coming along nicely.  I have a big stack of them - although it isn't big enough yet.
I think I am short a few of the Arrowheads and several of the Old Italian blocks for my original plan. So I switched gears on it and redesigned the quilt. I am using these as parts of giant four patch blocks that will be 17" square.  Since I am doing this as a quilt as you go quilt, I decided to make one of the giant blocks and prepare it for quilting. So it has sashing on two sides so far.  I am still debating on the exact way I will do this.
It will definitely be these four patch blocks with white sashing.  I just haven't decided if I will do it in sections this size OR do an entire row at a time.  An entire row would require less "fussy work" later - but it would also mean I would be wrangling a 20" by 80" quilt piece as I was quilting.  I do believe I will think on it some more.

I also tried my hand at spinning some silk.  I really enjoyed it and the skein is hanging to dry.  Here is a photo of part of it on the wheel.
Don't worry if I am missing for days at a time.  I have been spending more time with Mom lately and less time doing fiber work.


My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

20" x 80" shouldn't be too hard to handle. It just takes patience.

I hope your mom is OK.

Barbara said...

Oh dear, I wish it just took patience for me to handle those big pieces. I'd need new hands, lol! Yes, thinking on it is a good idea. I like the four patch blocks. Lovely colors on the spun sulk. Enjoy using it. Your Mom would love both of these projects.

suemac said...

Your blocks are progressing nicely.

kathyinozarks said...

loving your spun silk-and your quilt blocks too

Jeanna said...

I have never used the quilt-as-you-go method but I am seeing it more and more on blogs. I look forward to seeing what you do.