Thursday, July 16, 2015

A Dyeing Attempt

One of my friends, who owns a weaving studio, had a white cotton warp dyed by the "TieDye Guy" who works in the same building.  I wanted to do the same thing, but it is a bit of a distance to travel there twice for it.  So I ordered a simple set of procion type fiber reactive dyes.  I made this white warp with cotton and mercerized cotton threads. According to what I have read, the mercerized cotton will be more brilliant in color.  That will add even more dimension to the cloth I weave on this warp.
 Then I took the plunge and am attempting to dye it as a multi colored warp.  I set up three plastic containers (they originally held yogurt.)  I mixed up dyes in each of the three colors (the 4th in the kit was black- no thanks!)  and put them in a row.
I put the warp chain in sections into each container. Part of it is in each color like this.
I also moved each one back and forth a bit to get the colors to blend. I know that all of it needs to stay wet for it to work, so I keep going back occasionally to help with that. 
I am curious to see if my process works well. If it does I am sure I will do some more warp dyeing. 

I guess you could say that I am a "warped dyer."  (it is okay if you groaned - that was pretty bad, I admit.)


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

7 comments:

Barbara Arcement said...

love the colors. you are always doing such interesting things with your weaving

Lynn said...

Looks pretty so far!

Barbara said...

A warped dyer? Could also say a dyed warper. ;) Either way, the colors are amazing.
Your photo reminds me of dyeing Easyer eggs.

kathyinozarks said...

fun Gene-I really got to get myself set up for some dyeing real soon too-you are getting me motivated.
this sunday is my spinning class at the fiber U that comes to a near by town every July now. we are to learn on 3 different types of hand spindles
I love your little joke-lol

suemac said...

Looks like you had a fun time.

Susan said...

Warped dyer...good one! LOL I'll be anxious to see how it looks on the loom!

Sarah Terry said...

oooooh I can't wait to see it when you finish!