Monday, July 13, 2015

Weaving and Knitting- FiberArt Fun

Saturday I decided to put an unevenly spaced warp on my Ashford SampleIt loom.  This is the smallest rigid heddle loom I have.  It is one of the smallest ones made. I used some black cotton and some tan crochet cotton thread as the wrap.  Today I played on that warp a bit and wove off this small wall hanging.
I used a lot of different materials in this piece including some batik fabric and some printed quilt fabtic. There is also some handspun yarn and some commercial yarn and threads in it.  There is one poof of unspun roving in there. I am not sure if it is wool or bamboo.  I was "in the moment" creating and I just grabbed it.

I also promised to show the knitted/felted vessels I made.  I finally took the picture today. The smaller one is made with my handspun that I knitted.  The larger one is a commercial wool yarn.
I shaped them over a jar bottom and a glass.  On the larger one I allowed an edge to fold down.  I have no idea what I will use them for but they were certainly and adventure to knit and felt.   I have some fabric dyes arriving in the mail soon. So now I want to wind a cotton warp to dye. I also have some silk scarves coming that I will be playing with.  The acid dyes that will work on the silk will also dye wool.  I feel some fun coming on.
I forgot to mention that I posted a video on how I tie and secure the warp ends on my weavings.
So here it is if you want to watch it.


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

11 comments:

Jeanna said...

The bowls are very interesting, Gene. Another form of art, for sure.

Love the little wall hanging, too.

MarthaVA said...

Gene, the bowls are adorable. I love your wall hanging! So textural.
I tried my hand at dyeing some silk scarves. I like them, but wish I'd done something a bit different as far as how I dyed them. Can't wait to see yours.
I took a piece off the loom last night, and tied my warps threads the same way! Great little helpful video. Thanks for sharing.
Martha

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

"in the moment" creations are the best. They give you more ideas for more creations.

Barbara said...

Nice video, Gene! I do it something like yours, but didn't have the separating and tying tight in my routine. I like the result of that! I have a couple more knitted and dulled vessels to post, soon. They are good quick projects when I'm not at home with my sewing room. Your wall hanging is great, so artistic! Must tell you I spent the better part of yesterday making a drop spindle and trying it on my roving. Uh...methinks it's not for my hands. My daughter does it well, and she will soon have another drop spindle! 😜

Barbara said...

Sorry, autocorrect thinks I meant to say "dulled" when the word I wanted is "fulled".

kathyinozarks said...

love your bowls Gene and oh wow fun stuff in the mail-I was just thinking this morning that I need to get myself organized and start some dye projects soon-I bought some silk scarves from dharma a few months ago that I have yet to dye-thanks for the reminder

Marlene said...

I have a little Ashford Traditional too. Fun little looms. Your wall hanging looks great.

Lynn said...

Your bowls look great!

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Bowls are so fun. I have one here that I need to felt so it stands up a bot more by itself. I made it out of half merino wool and half silk yarn. Do you think it will felt since it has silk in it, Gene? Thanks also for the video about finishing the end of your woven pieces; great stuff there to learn.

Rhonda said...

Wow, great work!! The weaving reminds me of an art piece my friend has of a desert sunset!!

Susan said...

I love how your felted bowls turned out! I keep one next to my sewing machine...they make great thread catchers!